Crimp Tool to pick (2022 edition)

When the V5 crimp tool came out there were some posts across the next year (2018) about the tool and other choices.

I need to replace one and I’m looking for suggestions. At $13 (+ship) the V5 one is a good value, but there may be other ones out there.

You could look on Robosource, they generally have cheaper shipping prices. I’m not sure if this one has all of the functions you need, but if it does, then it’s a pretty good cheap alternative I’d imagine with cheap shipping and handling as well.

2 Likes

Isn’t that an rj11 jack? If so… home depot might have some in their data/phone cabling section or your local cabling warehouse (graybar/etc).

1 Like

Since all the import tools are probably all made in the same overseas factory/same materials/same quality, the V5 crimper is as good a value as any, unless you decide to go pro. Here’s about the cheapest pro/Made in the USA crimper out there: IDEAL Crimper and Connector Kit: For Voice and Data Cable, Uninsulated, 8 in Overall Lg, Cuts - 5LH89|33-750 - Grainger but you can buy a bunch of cheap V5 crimpers before you break even.

1 Like

Nice. I have these from Show Me Cable in my personal stash, but unlikely that I’m going to dump it into the local tool parts for the team. Ratchet Modular Crimping Tool | RJ22 , RJ11, RJ12, RJ45 & DEC | ShowMeCables.com

The VEX ones are hand pressure crimps which makes it easy, but there are teams that have the ratchet style (won’t release until the crimp is done). I was looking for experience with other crimpers. Showme has ratchet versions for a few dollars more than the hand pressure ones.

The ratchet crimper is probably a good idea for more consistency. Of course, we have a couple cable testers: Cable Tester Kit with VEX V5 RJ9 Adapter & Zipper Pouch - Robosource.net both to prove custom cables are made right and check existing cables during troubleshooting.

Now that it’s been around for a few years, though, I’m a bit surprised that our teams don’t make many custom cables: they seem to prefer the pre-made cables.

1 Like

I bought this one a couple of years ago, complete rubbish, never has made a good crimp (assuming it’s not the connectors I bought).

6 Likes

No, RJ11 is 6P2C or 6P4C. V5 smart cables use 4P4C connectors, which RJ9 connectors can be used for.

3 Likes

RJ9… that’s the cord for a phone handset cord I think.

1 Like

Good/bad crimp tools in pictures. Anything with a simple pivot will never produce consistent results.

Good

Bad

2 Likes

I’ve got a single pivot crimper with tens of thousand of crimps on it that would like a word with you… not a single bad crimp.

3 Likes