Cubes Rotating and Popping out When Intaking

Every time our robot intakes, after about 4 cubes, the new cubes that are sucked in begin to rotate and pop out of the right side. Does this have to do something with the angle of the cube tray or the amount of compression from the intake? image image

Your tray looks quite steep to me, that could be one of the contributing factors.

5 Likes

Not really sure, but the tray looks really steep. Maybe lower it? That’s what happened to my old robot. Once we lowered it, the accuracy improved significantly.

3 Likes

You can add on poly carbonate plates on the arms or tray and that stop the cubes from being able to twist sideways or if you want to be like 7k you can have bent poly carbonate on the top of your intakes but i done think your top c channel is long enough

4 Likes

I had the same problem, you can try adding lexan wings that stick out backwards to the sides of the intake as well as lexan guards to the tray. Once I added this my intake worked like a charm.

4 Likes

your intakes are way too steep. look at the intakes on 7k’s and 7701T’s or X’s robot. they are all located at a much less steep angle, which pushes the cubes into the tray, not directly up it.
The intakes should be around this angle:
I don’t think you can change it at this point witout building a completely new robot, so I would advise to do what @inspiron108 and @Myrobotnowork said, and add guides to the inside area of the intakes; this should help fix your problem.

2 Likes

The guides will help but the cubes popping out is actually not because the rollers aren’t angled at the tray, it’s because the rollers aren’t high enough but making the rollers angled at the tray can also fix the issue and is more space-efficient than making the rollers higher. It’s just better to make the rollers more aligned with the tray because it makes intaking more efficient. I would give the rollers a little bit of angle towards the tray so you can drive aggressively but also make the rollers a little higher. the only problem with making the rollers higher is this may make it harder to intake cubes because if you just make the rollers higher they won’t touch the cubes as much when the cubes are laying down so you might also have to move the rollers forward if you make them higher but this will probably make your robot out of size so then you would have to make the chassis shorter and the anti-tips longer.

5 Likes

Shorten your flaps, at that length they kind of just bump the cubes around as far as we found. Your towers seem a little janky which could let the arms flap around. Try making the whole intake shorter by a little and stick it out some so they are touching the tray and the rollers at the same time less. I would also just try not constantly intaking. We had the same problems when it just idled running but then when we only ran the intake when we are at a cube, the problem went away.

2 Likes

This topic was automatically closed 365 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.