Design Tracks for NBN

It seems like there are three ‘tracks’ for NBN designs this year, the first and most used thus far being (pre)load launching, followed by on-field ball scoring and the so far uncommon lifting robots.
Firstly, I am a fan of the number of these tracks because most years there have been one or maybe two viable design strategies.
I also think this makes for interesting alliance selection strategies. I think one of each type of competitor would be ideal. What do you people think?

Yes! My team has actually talked about this! The strongest alliance we’ve been a part of this season had 2 consistent full court shooters that used driver loads(1 was also able to lift) and 1 fast half court field robot. We were a very powerful trio and I want to recreate that structure for future competitions.

I have seen more mixing between the tracks of driver loaf shooting and lifting which I think makes sense with the other track of field robots generally being smaller and being able to be lifted

What’s your opinion on the strongest combination of two tracks in a singe robot?
I think that they all have advantages and disadvantages, but for being selected in the alliance selection, I would say a field robot with a lift. Since normally the highest seeded robots are full court shooters, and field robots with lifts would complement that quite well.

I believe the best robots will be able to do preloads and traverse/score on the field. The difference will lie in ability of lack thereof to lift. At this point, it may look like those are three separate tracks, but it’s more like the two (lifting and non-lifting). At least with the best bots that are showing up and will show up this season

I believe in the field ball launchers (thats what we’re doing and its almost fully autonomized ;)) but load launchers should have the lifts. After all, why do they need to move at all? They should use 2 or 0 motors on the drive and use the others to lift.

@frydaddy07 maxes out to 150 points which would probably do fine at a regional level, but beyond that…

You can score preloads if you can score field balls… also there are 30 green field balls (2 less than preloads) and 10 bonus balls, so the max score for the field is 250 while the max preload score is 160… so scoring field balls is a VERY valuable skill, especially at regional championships and worlds where alliance-tile launchers will score 150+ points with consistency.

In fact, when you think about it, the points in this game are distributed as follows:
autonomous: 10 points
32 green preloads: 160 points
low or high lift: 25 points or 50 points
30 green field balls: 150 points
10 orange bonus balls: 100 points

Thats a maximum score (correct me if I am wrong) of 10+160+50+150+100=470 points

260 points of those are competitive points (you can’t score your opponents loads),
So 55% of the points can be fought over. That’s where you win in big competitions and elimination matches, not the 160 you can score without moving.

You are correct that the maximum possible score for one alliance is 470, unless the opposing alliance just drops their DCLs into the court. But either way, I don’t see many matches going over 400 points. The current record is 377 points.

True, I was referring to that single non-moving bot, but I forgot about the other robot on the alliance clearing the field too. Guess I’ve been jaded by too many poor allies at tournaments this year lol

Ohhh I see. Yeah I agree

Idealistically, you would want every robot on an alliance that can do all three at a high performing degree. A robot that can play any role is open to an unlimited amount of strategies

Theoretically, there can only be 1 best strategy. After all, there is going to be a world champion. The tie breakers (points that affect both you and the opposing alliance) are the autonomous bonus and balls on the field. Once preloads and elevation are out of the picture, on field grabbing is where teams are going to shine

Practically, preload launching and on field ball scoring is the most competitive strategy. Preload launching alone has been strong enough to carry teams, and typically field ball scoring can overpower elevations.

However, once you actually start executing the strategies with robots, things become much more complex. The goal now is to understand the intricacy and requirements behind each strategy in order to execute it to its theoretical best.

I think a robot that is able to shoot from anywhere on the field accurately would do very well, as it would deem defensive robots useless. Furthermore, it will clear the field very quickly, which would guarantee a higher score than your opponents

We are able to do long and short range shooting and we have just added a high lift mechanism. Why only do one or two when you can do all three? :slight_smile: