Didn't do well at regional / states. Teams double qualified. Saved by the skills list - 2022 edition

I strongly think that there should be a quantity of spots reserved for the global skills leaderboard, it simply isn’t fair for teams of incredibly high caliber that they aren’t able to attend worlds only because their region wasn’t given more than just a few spots.

worlds has 800 teams from high school, I don’t think it’d hurt to dedicate 10-20 of those spots to global skills, and it would give regions like Singapore the chance to bring more than 3 of their extremely high tier teams.

30 Likes

Lots of them, here.

Everyone always neglects skills, when really it’s the easiest way to qualify for events.

4 Likes

Although it worked out in the end, my team went 1-5 in quals at Indiana State. Luckily, our reputation and bot got us picked early in alliance selection, but we were very close to not making semifinals and losing an auto-bid to worlds. Skills is a savior that more teams should take advantage of because many don’t post high skills until state and that is too unreliable to be consistent year after year. In the end, we weren’t saved by skills, but we were 3 points away from being saved by our skills.

4 Likes

It was kind of ridiculous how 7701V, 6842G, and 1115B all went like 1-5 and 2-4 when we all usually perform very well. Good thing we did our skills though.

3 Likes

The 800th rank skills has 300 points

FWIW, there are some teams from my region (in Texas (R4), where worlds spots are over-given-out) that qualified for worlds based on skills (no awards) that have 160 points.

Edit: Added region 4 @TeamTX (R4 has 11 spots)

1 Like

That’s actually how it used to work for a while, and IIRC, it changed later so the top 50 in combined skills automatically got a bid into Worlds, before they got rid of it altogether.

Glad to see you got to worlds, because I watched you get BO1ed live and thought you were robbed. (Personally, that just reaffirms my stance that the bracket match that determines who qualifies for Worlds should be BO3, so in California, the RO16 can be BO1, but if the semifinalists advance, the quarterfinal matchup has to be BO3).

EDIT: you mentioned Singapore, and I recall the biggest reasonable complaint against the abolition of top 50 skills was from the 8059 teams, and I’m sure @meng could tell you more.

DOUBLE EDIT: Wow, I didn’t see they already responded in the thread, lol

7 Likes

But let’s keep the discussion to the intent of this thread.

We can always start a separate thread regarding this issue :slight_smile:

4 Likes

teams can just as easily get bo1’ed in ro16 as they can in quarterfinals. I’d say on average doing bo3 ro16 and quarters would add probably 18 matches to the day, likely requiring the shortening of qualification matches by 1 match per team.

whether or not that’s worth it is debatable, but my opinion is that it is worth it. I’m definitely biased, being on the receiving end of bo1 combined with murphy’s law in the worst possible way, but it just seems like it would improve the experience at these insanely high stakes events, and would greatly reduce the likelyhood of a team’s shot at worlds being taken from them due to factors outside their or their partner’s control.

but alas, recf evidently doesn’t see it the same way. Which is why I think skills is probably the single most important thing to do if you’re trying to get to worlds. can’t get bo1’ed in that.

5 Likes

To be fair… Texas Regions 2 & 3 have many teams 300+ points, and you have to go pretty far down to get to 160.

2 Likes

I’m in 28TH in my state. We could’ve totally won that tournament. Sadly I never made an auton to go for the middle goal, and that’s one of the main reasons we lost our match. Also we had a really bad alliance cuz the guy who was going to pick us didn’t even look at us the 5th time he made a pick, it was amazing.

Regional skills rankings are the best!

SoCal is so insanely rife with double quals that it is really the most consistent way to qual.

Thanks to our solid skills score, the seniors on our team (including me!) have just locked down our 4th worlds spot, all 4 years of high school.

7 Likes

Even NorCal is very rife with double qualifications.
Our team, 23900B, only got 290 points in combined skills and qualified!

We had only 5 matches at state this year so it ended up that some not very good teams were up there after qualifiers. The second place team fricked our alliance over so we got partnered with a not so good bot. After that, we got stuck on a ring in quarters and couldn’t park (our teammate couldn’t set goals on the platform or park). We were saved through the skills list because we got 360- would have been higher but program is do do.

2 Likes

In Change Up we had the second-best skills score in the South Dakota region(which isn’t very competitive). After the team that won state was triple qualified we were able to earn a spot in world’s which we elected not to take since it was online and didn’t seem like much fun.

1 Like

4 teams in my state (AZ) double qualified opening 4 more spots for teams!

1 Like

have you guys considered simply winning

1 Like

When I was in high school we got saved in 2019 via online challenges :slight_smile:

Online challenges are the clutch!

3 Likes

bruh it aint that easy especially in states that have really good teams. And some times it comes down to your luck if you have a really toughf schedule then u might be screwed or if you have motors blow out in the final rounds.

“I wish there was a downvote button” moment.

8 Likes

Came up a little short for me this year, but online challenges ftw in general.

1 Like