Difference between a pasive and active intake?

Whats the difference between a pasive and active intake

2 Likes

An active intake uses a motor, a passive intake doesn’t. (No dumb questions here, we’re here to help! :smiley:)

4 Likes

Yeah, that’s not dumb at all. The advantage of passive systems is that they save a motor. Passive systems use gravity, rubber bands and stuff like latches that can be undone without a direct motor. They can be very challenging to devise and build.

5 Likes

Oh ok thats what it means

2 Likes

Additionally, “passive” subsystems, most of the time, use movement of another sybsystem like the robot chassis, lift etc… as the source of energy for whatever they need to do.

An “active” system, on the other hand, has a dedicated motor to power its main function.

Since the number of motors is limited to 8 - the more ways you can figure out to do something “passively”, the more power you can dedicate to other subsystems.

3 Likes

May I contest that?
What is VEX?

Baby don’t hurt me, don’t hurt me, no more.

Edit to add something useful: As said above, there’s (almost) no such thing as a dumb question. There was a wiki thread somewhere, but we don’t really expect everyone to track everything down or unpack complicated discussions to decipher a meaning. These reminders come up often, on different topics, so don’t feel bad.

2 Likes

Yes, you may try to!

VEX is a robotics company which maufactures and sells robotic parts. VEX is not to be confused with the GCD (who come up with yearly games and rules) or the RECF (who increase interest in STEM through VEX compeitions.)

Not a dumb question, many competitors confuse the roles of VEX, GDC, and RECF. :wink:

6 Likes

Goshdarnit you beat me

I just thought I’d chip in that the main goals of passive intakes is to a, save a motor, and b, have one less task to worry about. passives are huge time savers in certain scenarios. in this game, if one was to use a passive instead of say, a claw, the passive would be able to just go to the cube’s area and then just be picked up without a slow motor reaction and action.

DROW FOR GREATEST COMMON DIVISOR

Honestly, this is still a very fine question. It’s been answered, but at least this should clear something up.

5 Likes

What is a company? <20char>