Differences between Drivetrain and Individual motor coding?

Hey!

Are there any benefits to coding each motor to the controller joystick axis compared to just configuring a 4 motor drivetrain? I saw some posts on the forum but I did some testing and found no major differences between the two in terms of speed/responsiveness. Is there something I’m missing? Here’s the standard code that I used for testing:

void usercontrol ( void ) {
    frontLeft.spin(forward, Controller1.Axis4.position(percent) + Controller1.Axis3.position(percent),percent);
    backLeft.spin(forward, Controller1.Axis4.position(percent) + Controller1.Axis3.position(percent),percent);
    frontRight.spin(forward, Controller1.Axis4.position(percent) - Controller1.Axis3.position(percent),percent);
    backRight.spin(forward, Controller1.Axis4.position(percent) - Controller1.Axis3.position(percent),percent);
}

you can make code for special drive trains. my team this year is using mecanum wheels for the base , and it needs special code to be used properly.

There are no benefits or drawbacks to using text based commands that can be observed by watching a robot run. However, since you have your code working, I would recommend not using the drivebase functions. Writing it out in text is good practice and can allow you to do more advanced things later. As @7996B stated, mecanum drives and x drives need to be coded with text. Also, text coding can allow you to do things such as slow down your drivetrain for more precise movements during a match.

overall individually coding gives you more control, like if you need to do an x-drive or something. but if you need to pump out an auton quickly drivetrain is very friendly.