Shamelessly stealing this from Chief Delphi
There have been a number of threads popping up lately with regards to building ventilators, face masks, etc., and we’d like to share what the moderators have come up with for guidelines as to what discussion is allowed on the site (for safety reasons, among others):
- Discussion of the proper use of PPE is 100% okay.
- Discussion of face shield development is 100% okay.
- Discussion of uncertified face mask development is okay , as long as it is clear they are uncertified. The effectiveness of such masks is debated within the medical community.
- Discussion of building homemade versions of more sophisticated equipment like ventilators is not allowed on safety grounds, with two exceptions:
- Discussion of projects that are in or clearly nearing government review, such as AmboVent or MIT’s E-Vent
- Sourcing requests for specific parts (e.g. “I need a power supply” or “I need a fab shop that can do X”, not “I want the parts to build a ventilator, where do I go?”)
Thank you for helping us keep the discussion of these very important initiatives in alignment with the above rules.