Does switching teams mean having to start notebook over?

So recently I had a sudden team change when my school’s robotics program shut down. I decided I had put too much time and effort into the season for it to just end, so I registered a team myself, partially affiliated with my school. Keeping in mind, prior to the program shutdown, I was the sole member of the robotics team and filled every role. I found in an earlier post that “If a Student permanently changes Teams for reasons including (but not limited to) illness, changing schools, or conflicts within a Team, then that Student may drive the new Team’s Robot, regardless of whether or not the Student drove the previous Team’s Robot.” which I can safely assume says that me changing teams isn’t illegal because I will not be competing on behalf of more then one team simultaneously. My question is this, since I have now switched teams and number, do I have to start my notebook over from scratch because it was previously affiliated with another team?

3 Likes

I am a judge myself, though I don’t know whether there are any existing rules about it. But I would definitely want to see your new team’s full engineering process, including your time as part of the defunct team. (If I were your school, I would even try to allow you to keep the same team number for the rest of the season, and just return into the school when you’re done if necessary.)

If your old team no longer exists or has lost all of its members, my personal opinion would be to just continue the notebook from where you left off with a summary of what happened (maybe even the rule saying it would be legal), and add the new team’s number to the notebook cover alongside the original. If there was a chance you wouldn’t be allowed to do this, maybe do it in a separate notebook and submit both when turning in your notebook for judging (with the new team number clearly indicated on both notebooks, as well as a clear indication of why the judges will see the old number as well).

11 Likes

I think the first part of b-kinney’s plan is the best course. Add the new team number to the cover and a notebook entry explaining the transition. You are the sole producer of the work, and can defend that position in interview.

8 Likes

I will agree with the other responses to your question, which were quite reasonable. I would cite rule G6Ai as you have switched teams, so you haven’t violated any rules for contributing to two teams – made easier by the old team begin defunct. As a judge and the likely JA for some of your upcoming events, There is a red box at the bottom of G6 which shows that EPs should use common sense enforcing this rule, so your explanation of why you switched team numbers seems completely reasonable. Put me in agreement with B-Kinney and DougMoyers, update the team number. Maybe put in a brief explanation of “here’s why I’m now a new team”, and keep working on your robot. Best of luck and look forward to seeing you at future competitions. I think you’ve cited the relevant rules correctly, and I couldn’t find anything else that would apply in the rules or the judge-guide.

The notebook is the history of the robot you brought to the event. I’m always interested in the history of your robot, how it was developed, and showing that the robot on the field represents the skill level of the team members who created this robot. Starting a new one seems like busy work. Having the full history of your robot seems like a good thing.

2 Likes

Ok - time for one last bit of common sense advice - contact your RECF Team Engagement Manager and let them know about the change … they will communicate the change to the RECF Engagement Manager just in case EPs go rogue.

Seriously, your RECF EEM and TEM are the best resources for such situations.

7 Likes