Does your club advisor allow your team to take home your bots?

Our club adviser is a great guy. He lets us take our robot gear home whenever we want. It is interesting to think about the different methods.

• If you can’t take it home, maybe you work harder to finish the robot, but you also have less time to finish it and do quality work.
  • If you can take it home, maybe you don’t work much on the robot because you can just pull an all-nighter before the tournament, but you can work harder throughout the year because you have the time.

I imagine that there are pros and cons to each method.

10 Likes

We are not a school, but rather a large community team with a workspace at our local Community College. At the IQ level, many of our IQ teams take their robots home, but they are highly encouraged to work with their teammates in our work space. They take the robots home mostly for storage reasons because our space is limited in size. Our VRC teams and our U-team rarely work on their robots outside of our work space. In our work space are all the parts, tools, and the practice fields. Sometimes, last minute things get done at home, because our teams are responsible for their own transportation to events, including transporting their robots.

10 Likes

We take our robots home relatively frequently, as we meet often in school , but only for an hour and half to 2 hours each meeting, so we do not accomplish everything we need to at meetings.

3 Likes

When I ran a school program - yes I let them take their bots home.

I was also able to frequently go to practices because I lived in the same neighborhood as all of my teams.

Now as I run a private program? Still yep. But most of the practices are run out of my basement.
But I always let motivated kids take stuff home to do work. It’s the only way to remain competitive where we live.

13 Likes

My middle school adviser occasionally allowed us to take home our robot, but only because we were the best and most responsible of his three teams. Now he has twelve teams, and they’re much more difficult to keep track of…
My high school adviser lets us take home the robot pretty much any time, and we’re much more responsible and capable to bring the robot back the next day.

5 Likes

Our club adviser usually lets us take the robot/supplies home whenever we need to, as we usually only have 1-2 hours during our meetings to work on it. We take the robot home often on weekends to get more work done. He has no problem with it as long as we bring everything back at some point.

2 Likes

As a member of Vexmen(80, 90, 81, 91, 92 Team Numbers), we are not affiliated with a school and are allowed to bring home robots (many teams have personal fields). We have our main build location and have build times available almost every day but it is still easier for some teams to just build at home and our club allows that as long as you build at the main location once or twice a month. We have shelving for all of our teams to leave their stuff(41 teams) and then tables for everyone and 2 VRC fields and 2 IQ fields set up.

To convince your mentors, the majority of our teams that do well and qualify for worlds have personal fields and build at home. That’s because it’s easier and you get more time. Teams that do that and do very well:
81Y(2018), 80Y(2015), 91A(2019), 80P(2019), 81P(2020), 91W(2020)
those are just ones that come to mind. That being said, most of our teams are highly competitive with just building at our main build space a few times a week.

6 Likes

We’re a private team and dont have a problem when someone wants to take a robot home (a team member has a robot right now to practice programming). But all the tools and parts are in our Gear Geeks Garage (Triple G). So it makes more sense for team members to come to the Triple G because the Triple G is always open!

3 Likes

90% of all of the work done on our robot (program included) was done at home. We only have two practices a week, so we bought a field to go at my house for our team to practice on. We would not have gone as far as we have if we didn’t take the robot home.

4 Likes

Taking your robot home and tinkering with it on your free time is the best way to learn. My first year I started off just like everyone else not knowing how to do anything. With little guidance, I watched videos and became more dedicated. I found that if you take your robot home, sometimes a quieter place, is the best place to work.

9 Likes

We are not allowed to take home our robots because we have robotics meetings after school and we meet for long hours. So we get a lot of time to work in school.

1 Like

I am a private team that I mostly fund with my job so my robot is in my room right now.

5 Likes

We are a school team so we can’t take our robots home. However, our mentor’s son is on my team, so he was allowed to take our robot home.

2 Likes

that seems very… lopsided…

13 Likes

Back in middle school, we weren’t allowed to take home robots because parents would interact too much with it and become the builders themselves. Some students were also untrustworthy and didn’t respect the value of the resources (e.g. one team left a motor running overnight and burned it out). To solve the first problem, our coach allowed teams to take home the robot only if the robot was at least 80% complete. Now, in high school, since we started the team (and have more experience with VEX than our coach) we just hold meetings at home.

6 Likes

At my school, we have a pretty small club (only two competing teams during TT season), so we’ve been allowed to take home the bots since our coach can keep track of where everything is reasonably well. If your advisor is worried, I’d suggest setting some type of rule or system where you give them a list of everything you’re taking home and when you’ll bring it all back. My coach is planning on implementing a similar system for the new season because we had a few issues with hoarding parts

2 Likes

Just gonna put this here for safe keeping.
hhmm

9 Likes

Yes, but only students that are trusted

2 Likes

My friend and I do most of the work for our team, (coders, builders, drivers) so since i a on the building front, and have an equal skill level in coding with him, i take the robot home, build and code. I do this during all of our school breaks, and have my robot right now because of quarantine. On the 2 weeks before tournaments we take the robot home to practice our driving.

1 Like