Double Parking

Our team was considering the possibility of double parking at nationals. We were thinking about putting a hooked attachment on our bot so that it could latch onto a c channel and both bots could high park. Is this legal/ viable?

I have seen videos of tournaments and a double park definitely works. I’ve also been told in drivers meetings that it was okay too. As far a hook goes just make sure it can come off and be gentle to the other bot. Also idk about it being called entanglement. It definitely sounds like a good idea though

I think entanglement specifies a robot of the other alliance.

I had the same thought a while back, but never tried it out. It would be interesting to see done, though.

Another thing that has helped me double park in tournaments is that you put a cap right next to the platform, and then fall on the cap so that you are only touching the cap and platform, and then that leaves space for another bot to park. It seems confusing at first, but its quite useful in a match and you don’t need to add extra to your bot.

1 Like

Yes, you can legally and purposely entangle with your alliance partner, so that would work. You could also build a weird sort of ramp on your robot that your partner can climb up to get off the alliance platform and fully scored as center-parked… but that would also put your robot at risk of being damaged by their drive train.

1 Like

Does anyone have any ideas on how to do this passively? I have run out of motors.

1 Like

If you’r partner is a small robot it’s possible, but still tricky

1 Like

Maybe a flexible hook? or an angled piece of metal that is like a ramp to get over the robot then stay there?

1 Like

Just look at the NBN finals for ramp and climbing ideas.

1 Like

In theory double parking on the center platform is a great idea and all, but wouldn’t that make you super vulnerable to being pushed off the platform? Both robots are basically hanging off the platform, entangled with each other and exposed to defense. They have no way of defending themselves, and if a team does push both robots off, since they are entangled, you risk not being able to separate immediately to re-park or damage to both robots.

1 Like

If you have locked wheels you could resist being shoved off

1 Like

+1
Locked omnis are great.

Look up at FRC power up for inspiration. A ramp with a winch 50:1 or 100:1 would probably be enough to pull another robot up

1 Like