DR4B vs Tray Stacker

But then the design is far slower than a tray stacker.

@Flip_Gunderson stated that

I would agree in most cases. Trays (that can trivially hold 8 or more cubes) are going to be faster than DR4Bs that can hold 4-5 cubes simply due to the reduced number of trips to the goal zone requires.

But he/she also said

Which I disagreed with.

2 Likes

Are you suggesting some sort of design that can hold cubes both on the lift and somewhere off the lift? I’m intrigued now…

2 Likes

Perhaps, I’m willing to share the details at a later date…

2 Likes

You could try something like itz style. Something my team was thinking about with a dr4b this year.

1 Like

We are currently working on something like this. We think the robot will be done in a week or so, and we’ll reveal it then.

4 Likes

How do trays take more motors?

Well, they could one at a time with their lift rollers, but of course that would be extremely inefficient.

1 Like

Yes, but even then some tray designs don’t have movable lift rollers and like you said, it would be ineffective and it would probably be better to focus on defense at that point.

If you count hoarding as defense, then sure, hoard as many cubes as you can after you get your 3 stacks. I think cutting off your opponents’ resources will be more valuable than trying to prevent them from getting those resources, especially if you can do it fast.

1 Like

Of course, I actually believe I responded to one of your replies earlier in this topic with a similar strategy.

This thread got really long recently; I have minimal recollection of what was discussed in its infancy :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Basically the same, except now it is more about quizzing DR4B defenders about their designs’ validity.

1 Like

Just going to point out as far as the dr4b+ tray stacker goes that there’s nothing that says you can’t do a 2 motor drive. Sure most turning point drives had four motors but that was also a game where game objects were light and did not need to be lifted very high, as well as one where possession limits meant you needed to get around a lot so drive speed needed to be optimal. In itz, however, where game objects were heavy and you needed to accumulate a lot of them people commonly used four motor drives and this was on v4. So as far as a dr4b+tray stacker goes i don’t think it would murder you to cut down to two drive motors to get some extra lift power.

2 Likes

alternatively, I suspect transmissions will be used to power lifts and tilters off of drives.
you could theoretically use a 4 bar transmissions on your drive to accomplish
4 motor drive
2 tray
2 motor intake
2 motors for some method of scoring towers
or for lift bots
4 motor drive
4 motor lift
2 motor intake

2 Likes

I don’t know… people tried all sorts of transmissions in itz and none really worked

I do not think this is a good idea. Most robots will have a 4 motor drive, it is just a vex standard now. Some will have even 5-6 motor drives. You will get manhandled if you to try a 2 motor drive in competition. Not to mention that moving a lot of weight will be difficult with minimal torque, even if you build as light as possible, the motors themselves have a significant mass that needs to be considered (for all the mechanisms mounted to the chassis) and carrying a lot of cubes accumulates mass quickly.

2 Likes

I agree with this, vex parts aren’t very good for transmissions. There is a good chance that the transmission will fail under a large load for the fact that vex parts are made out of plastic (for the most part).

You could try with high strength gears but I still wouldn’t recommend. There are better ways to transfer power between mechanisms, I would stay away from power sharing between the chassis motors however for almost any mechanism.

a lot of teams used 4 bar transmissions for itz and mogo lifts without problems.
they aren’t like the kinds of transmissions I think you’re thinking of… they have no moving parts except simple gear ratios, and aren’t unreliable at all.

3 Likes

I know exactly what you’re talking about I competed in itz and even prototyped said transmissions. The added friction isn’t worth it

2 Likes

wow really? I wouldn’t think the friction would be that high.