EDR RobotC Firmware issues

I’m using Vex EDR clawbots in my classroom which are easily over 12 years old. They are still working fairly well but we’re having some issues with the compile and downloads more and more frequently.
I’m using RobotC and often the compile and download will seem to work but the robots won’t function.
My cure is reinstalling the RobotC firmware. This seems to solve the problem about 90% of the time. The other 10% of the time, I have to update the master code.
Either way, this is happening way too often.
Am I doing something wrong? Is there a fix or do I just have to deal with it?

Fact is, I’m very armature with this but I think it’s great for the kids to learn. I just don’t want them getting frustrated with having to reinstall the firmware so frequently.