Elapse, an oss schedule viewer putting ux first

Foreword

Hey all! @Nomnomburger25 (You may know him from Concurrent) and I have been working really hard on this app over the past week, and we’re dying to show it to you! This is our first app written in Flutter, so go easy on our code, haha.

Welcome to Elapse

Elapse is a companion app built to be used during and off VRC competitions.

Vex Via already exists, however users may find it’s severely lacking in it’s ability to be used quickly and efficiently. It was with this in mind we created Elapse. Elapse was designed to be more user-friendly and have a more modern design than Vex Via. You can think of Elapse as a sort of “scouting companion”, where it makes no decisions on its own, but provides info for a scout. Other team members can use Elapse too, as it was also built to be as intuitive as possible.

Currently, the app is in an early alpha stage, where our main goals and design style is finalized, but we don’t even have half of our planned features added in yet. The current app is extremely barebones, but we wanted to get you informed, and to collect user feedback.

Our current and planned features are in our GIthub repository.

Downloading

Currently, the apk (for android) is available for download from our Releases page. iOS support is coming soon, when we figure out how to build to it, lol.

Screenshots

Links

28 Likes

This sure looks interesting. Might I ask what some of the planned features are?

2 Likes

taken from the github page

9 Likes

Just wanted to give a quick update, currently the apk for android doesn’t work due to a SocketException, (not sure how that slipped by our radar), so in a bit we’ll be releasing v0.0.2 which has a fix for this bug.

3 Likes

yes, version 0.0.2 should be released within the next 15 minutes. v0.0.2 also fixes how some devices will show “app not installed” while attempting to install apk. This bug seemingly only affected devices with a higher Android SDK version. Sorry everyone for the bugs

3 Likes

Update
Version 0.0.2 is now available!

6 Likes

Update
Elapse alpha v0.0.3 is coming soon!

includes:

1. Fixed icon
  2. New matchtype divider
  3. And potentially more!

Stay tuned

3 Likes

bro i love when the changelog says “potentially more”

5 Likes

I think a really neat feature would be allowing teams to put a bio for why you should pick them and info about their bot, auton(s), etc. This wouldn’t really be useful unless a lot of teams used it though.

2 Likes

That would require them to build their own server infrastructure…

Intersting idea

@Barin I do have some experience with servers, the only problem is it may cost money and we are not financially prepared lol

5 Likes

It’s not that hard to build the server infrastructure on a small scale. But it is neither trivial nor cheap to deal with a large volume of users.

1 Like

I could be wrong about this, but doesnt the RobotEvents API give team bios?

3 Likes

This is a good point. The API may not provide them, but it’s definitely possible to scrape a team page to get their bio.

4 Likes

Update
Version Alpha 0.0.3 is here!
New changes can be found in the release description.

Android APK is in that link, in the asset section

6 Likes

Any chance the app will be put into the play store while in alpha?

@M3Rocks I think we will be putting open Beta on the Play Store.

Alpha versions usually need some revisions to the apk after it’s released so doing on GitHub for now ensures instant changes

1 Like

Ok, it’s just my device is very locked down, and I was wondering when I would be able to use it.

1 Like

It’s very easy to install custom APKs on virtually any Android device. Now, if your device has MDM (mobile device management, often used on company devices), that may be a different story…

2 Likes

My parents setup google family link on my device, so I cannot install apps from apks