Electrifying Gas Powered Cars Using VEX

In Part 1 and Part 2, I described how I built a DIY VEX Electric Car prototype, which is a scaled up or larger version of my original Hero 20201 Robot, which in turn is just a scaled up VEX SquareBot. In this installment I demonstrate the Electric Car in action outdoors in a parking lot using the VEX Game Controller to remotely test the Electric Car.

From this test you can see for yourself how this Electric Car prototype can be further scaled up to “Electrify” current gas powered cars in order to help solver the Green House gases and Global Warming that is causing a meltdown in the North and South poles!

By using compact gas powered cars that are sitting in junk yards or at home in driveways and garages because the engine and or transmission is broken but otherwise the car body and safety systems are in good condition, we can convert them to Electric Cars that can be used for driving around town or short commutes to work and back, using charging stations that are currently available for Tesla cars.

This could be the next car upgrade for car enthusiasts who can’t afford one of Elon Musk’s Tesla Electric Cars. With the talents and help of mechanics, 3D Printers, electronic designers, embedded software designers around the world. In fact maybe Elon Musk would consider selling gas car “Electrification” kits to car enthusiasts world wide to help further reduce greenhouse gases that are drastically changing our weather patterns and causing a meltdown at the North and South Poles. Maybe car races and prizes could be awarded for “Electrified” car designs with the longest range or best performance. Similar contests were held by MIT for solar powered cars a while back. In fact these contests should also be available to students in grade school, high school and colleges and universities world wide! For their future depends on “Electrics”.

4 Likes

You might find this interesting.

@Simon_Burfield made it out of only VEX EDR parts to move a person

And the reason you would avoid electrifying an old car is the batteries in a modern electric car make up most of the chassis so you couldnt just slap together electronics and a very heavy already existing car. Also the engineering to modify each individual make and model of car would be immense.

9 Likes

Yep, batteries and battery technology have been the biggest barrier to electric cars through history.

Remember, electric cars are nothing new. Henry Ford bought his wife Clara an electric car…they were considered “women’s cars” in the day because you didn’t need to deal with gas and oil so much. Quite a contrast to a Tesla/performance car! (some speculate the “women’s car” stigma is why electrics never caught on in the early 1900’s). On the other hand, your garage had to be equipped to wash out the acid and refill the batteries every few days!

But as Tabor says, a “drop in” replacement for current gas-powered vehicles is a bigger obstacle, again because of the batteries, but I expect there will be a solution in the next few years. At the same time, infrastructure will need to be built, power doesn’t just come from a plug, it comes from nuclear/solar/wind, and more is needed to support a growing EV industry. Even with a battery solution, though, EV conversions will be niche of tinkering engineers, not the general public. There’s alot more to an EV conversion than pulling the engine and sticking in an electric motor!

9 Likes