Electronics for Spin Up game

In section b of R6 of the Spin Up game manual it states that Cortex electronics are not allowed. It also states that electronics not compatible with V5 system. Are the legacy 3-wire sensors not allowed to be used for the Spin Up season such as potentiometers and line tracker sensors? These and other Cortex era sensors are compatible with the V5 system.

As long as the VEX part is still listed on their website and badged as “V5” (even if discontinued) then the part is legal.

You should see the 3-wire sensors here.

Vex has started to compile discontinued products that are still legal onto this page.

4 Likes

Although it’s best to drop this in the Q&A when it opens (June 28 ) the rule as of version 0.1 is:

R6.b Electronics from the VEX Cortex control system are not permitted. This includes the VEXnet
Joystick, VEXnet Partner Joystick, VEX ARM® Cortex-based Microcontroller, VEXnet Key 1.0 and
2.0, 2-Wire Motor 393, and any other electronic components which are not compatible with the
VEX V5 system.

Cortex sensors are not explicitly outlawed. So we can look at the rest of the rule:

Robots are built from the VEX V5 system. Robots may be built ONLY using official VEX V5 components, unless otherwise specifically noted within these rules. Teams are responsible for providing documentation proving a part’s legality in the event of a question. Examples of documentation include receipts, part numbers, official VEX websites, or other printed evidence.

The line follower is still listed on the website as active and has a V5 flag on the page. However, the old, red circle pot seems to only be available in discontinued kits. A Q&A from last year stated

Discontinued products that are no longer found on the VEX website are no longer considered “part of the VEX V5 system” (in the context of R6) and are therefore not legal for use.

Two points: (1) Q&A do not roll over from year to year so YMMV; (2) The red pots as of right now fall through the gap where they can be found on the VEX website but are listed as discontinued. Since there is a V5 pot for sale, I expect the old red pots to disappear from the website before contests start in earnest.

4 Likes

Things might indeed change, but the old red 3-wire pots are individually listed on the discontinued page here. I’d expect them to stick around a bit, but that is only a guess. The Q&A should definitely be asked when it opens.

Looking over them, some of the items on that page have been discontinued for quite a a few years.

1 Like

Thank you! I was unaware of that page. I suspect I’m not the only one :slight_smile:

Thanks for the insights. I can post on the Q & A as well to verify.

Your welcome. It is relatively new as I think they only made it during a similar discussion on the forum a month or so ago. I just hope they keep it updated and link it in their menu structure.