Encoder with Limit Switch vs. Potentiometer

Which do you prefer? Encoder/limit switch combo seems to have better consistency but has 2-3 wires as opposed to a potentiometer which has one wire and oftentimes can be inconsistent. This will be on a lift, by the way. I’ve used both, and can’t decide. What do you guys use and prefer?

I’ve had no issues with “consistency” on a pot - what do you mean by that?

Granted, I usually end up using a limit switch+IME on lifts just because they’re smaller, but I prefer pot whenever it fits b/c it’s more accurate and only 1 wire.

I prefer the Encoder/Limit switch combo more or less due to the simplicity of programming it (ie the two sides will match in value without having to mess with the axles and whatnot). Nearly every competition last year I had issues with pot’s breaking/getting off mid competition so I might have just run into bad luck, but at worlds last year the limit switch (no need for encoders last year) ran very, very well. Either will get the results your looking for, so I wouldn’t get caught up in choosing too much.

On the flipside, I have had a broken potentiometer on my robot before (It spun 360, but I could feel when it was at 0), but with a bit of calibration, I got it to work fine. This was Gateway year, where I made it very far in the middle school championships.

Sack attack year I used a completely new potentiometer, and I had the same potentiometer on for pretty much the whole year (If I made a new robot, I used the same potentiometer). Worked fine.

This year, I’ve used the same potentiometer for the past 4 months, in 3 competitions. It hasn’t had any issues at all.

However, as UnforeseenGamer said, if you get the results you want, then it’s fine. Unless you don’t like the small amount of weight difference.

Personally, I find programming potentiometers for the arm to be easier than encoders. It’s really up to you.

I definitely prefer potentiometers. When you turn on your cortex, pots know what angle your lift bars are at. Encoders need to run to the bottom (or top, or either) to know where they are.

The only times I have had problems with inconsistency of pots is when the battery is not plugged in. :smiley:

Also note that a broken pot still works. You just have to make sure after you mount it that it does not run through its dead zone.

I have not used an encoder on a lift, and I know that there are people who successfully use one. An enc/switch combo is probably easier to mount.

I like encoder and switch combo because it doesn’t run into issues with setting sides separately or issues relating to Pots turning along metal.

If you set an encoder to 0 every time it hits the limit switch it can solve limitless issues.

See what I did there.

I’ve used both ways and they both work well. It all depends on what is easier to fit on your robot.

I have a slight preference to potentiometers just because they are smaller than encoders (except integrated encoders) and you don’t need a limit switch. But if you find the encoder/switch combo easier to integrate into your robot, go with that. Also tuning two sides of a lift to stay equal with potentiometers can be a real pain, so if you need to do that to keep the sides equal it’s something to consider.

This is my issue. Along the same lines, every time I try to determine the ground level for the lift, it changes. I also can’t seem to get it so that the degrees are the same, even when using the same relative ground point. It’s probably prudent to mention that I’m using two potentiometers. I plan to, regardless of the next lift, have all the lift motors on the same gear box.
[quote=tabor473;341843If you set an encoder to 0 every time it hits the limit switch it can solve limitless issues.
]
I see what you did there :cool:

Basically, what I’m getting out of this is that it’s personal preference…;
[/quote]