Engineering (non-vex) Survey

Hello everyone,
I am currently taking a class at my school (Engineering Development and Design) and we currently are in need of responses to a survey we developed in order to obtain data to help us make the decision of choosing a potential solution.

Class Overview

Students in the capstone class EDD (Engineering Development and Design) immerse themselves in a real-world engineering experience, doing each step on their own from brainstorming an existing problem to brainstorming, designing, and making their own solution.

This product aims to combat the issue of power tool safety, in both industrial and personal use. More details are included in the form. They are currently aimed towards the Dremel Rotary tool that many robotics teams are familiar with, so our team decided here would be a good spot to post it.
Survey Link (Google Form)

Thanks!

there's nothing to read here

what did you expect

7 Likes

I took your survey, was wondering why you went with a money question? Are rich people more stupid with tools? I would have asked more about experience using tools.

I would have tried to set a baseline by having people rank tools in order of danger, with the hand motor tool in the mix.

I rank dremel between routers and angle grinders in the danger rankings.
1 too many different bits to use ranging from router tips to large diameter saw blades.
2 too little education on how to use it, and things not to do
3 people equate it with an electric Toothbrush, when it can actually do major damage.

Number one on my list would be educational, pictures of accidents make people a little more careful. Using a clamp on the part being cut is a must. Teaching to turn it off and have it stop spinning before putting it down is a must.

I think the second best possible safety device is a sheet of lexan with hand holes. Stick you hands through and have a safety shield between you and that cutoff wheel that shatters and flings pieces around the shop.

2 Likes

I think for the money question, the reason was due to people who earn less usually have blue collar jobs. As a result, they are more inclined to be using power tools at a daily basis (due to the requirements of their jobs), making them prone to injury. I doubt that @Wiredcat_Robotics please correct me if I am wrong.

1 Like

Thanks for your response. Since things like pictures of accidents, clamp usage and giving the tool time to deaccelerate is mostly going to be in the user’s manual. Unfortunately, the teacher wouldn’t quite accept a ‘new and improved’ user’s manual making changes to the tool.
However, I really like your insights on the danger rankings of Dremels. Hopefully it can help out the team’s paper (due tomorrow…) as we have to explain how we went from table saws to Dremels.

The sheet of lexan and hand holes was something a different team member came up with, but didn’t meet one of the requirements , seeing that we wanted a solution that utilized moving parts. We’re still on edge of incorporating multiple compatible ideas together so that’s definetly not out of the running.

As for the income interview question… I definitely agree with you there, the biggest issue was how people ‘measure’ how adept they are with tools. Obviously there’s the possibility of going on a ‘low confidence - high confidence’ scale but I can say that I’ve very confident with using a Dremel, but I have the worst track record on my team for keeping myself safe while using them.

1 Like

No, but now that you say that I realize how that information could be useful, thanks!

No problem! 202020char