Engineering Notebook Word Formatting

Hi everyone,
I have a very specific question regarding something I’m trying to do with our notebook. We used to have two separate sections: one for goals and one for accomplishments. Now I’m trying to merge them together by using a check box as a bullet. I want the checkbox to be electronically checkable as well just like you can do in OneNote. I’ve done a lot of research and searching but I can’t find anything. I found the checkable checkbox, but I couldn’t figure out how to make it a bullet point. I need it as a bullet so that we can add more goals/ objectives since the page I’m creating is just a template. I’ve attached a picture of what I need, but in a OneNote file and I need to know how to do this in Word.

Screenshot (52).png

Take a look at this:

Go to the lower half, content control. Though it seems like perhaps you’ve done that part. You could use a blank space as your bullet and drop this in on each of those spots, making it look like this checkable box is the bullet, even though it isn’t really.

Or maybe I’m misunderstanding what you’re looking for.

Technically it’s not a bulleted list, but…
If you have a new enough version (2013+), look into the Repeating Section Content Control.

I have attached an example; feel free to use/duplicate/edit/do whatever you want with it.

If you have an older version of Word, you may need to use macros to achieve the desired result.
RSCC.docx (50.1 KB)

I took a look at both of these and neither seemed to work the way I need them to. Thanks though :slight_smile:

Macros…

What are those?

Essentially scripts for Microsoft Office documents, written in Visual Basic for Applications

Official MSDN page for Word VBA (warning - slow to load)
Decent-looking and much more friendly tutorial
If you want to be lazy/quickly set up a shortcut to add new ‘list items’ (warning - autoplaying video)

Lol jk, here’s the definition:
mac·ro
ˈmakrō/
noun
plural noun: macros
Computing
a single instruction that expands automatically into a set of instructions to perform a particular task.

Photography
short for macro lens