Far-fetched, possibly illegal designs and strategies

Okay y’all, someone started this last year, I think it’s high time we had this discussion. Basically, any design strategy that seems cool but illegal, or else far-fetched, this is the place to post it.

I’ll start:

Idea one: A cube catapult that launches cubes at a tower that the opposing team has stacked. This would be illegal because you can’t use a game element to complete an action that your robot isn’t allowed to do.

Idea 2: If you are against an alliance that has 2 tray bots which can only score on the ground, place one cube in their goal so that they now can do no more scoring there. (Is this even illegal? I’m not sure.)

I’m excited to see what the community comes up with!

2 Likes

Take a look in the game manual (https://content.vexrobotics.com/docs/vrc-tower-takeover/GameManual-20190816.pdf) at SG3 case D

2 Likes

Then you can just use the cube catapult to put it in from a distance!

1 Like

anything you can’t do with your robot you can’t do with game pieces. Also why would it matter if the other team couldn’t use their towers? you can’t use theirs.

@Joey_24K, my team and I were actually considering this as a possible method to slow down ground stackers. Unless you make some sort of kind distance cube launcher, it would be illegal to try and push the cube into the zone, even if you push a line of cubes so your robot does not touch the protected zone. However, from match experience I have found out that tray bots are actually very capable of cleaning out their zone to put down a larger stack. The only issue a robot like that might have is when the cube is jammed all the way in the corner, it’s much harder to suck the cube in without moving the cube out of the corner. A more useful strategy in my opinion is to clump a bunch of cubes together, which slows down ground stackers considerably as their rollers are unable to engage when there are other cubes in both sides of the one they are targeting.

2 Likes

a multi shot mortar to lob cubes such so that it can build stacks. Also it can lob into towers.
Probably not gonna happen because that’s NASA level engineering, but would be fun to see.

4 Likes

A robot that is powered by neceser fusion. Don’t mind the mandatory hazmat suits needed for everybody at the event.

Messing with the opponent’s stacks is illegal.

The other thing is while the tray bot won’t be able to place another stack on yours, they can just intake the cube in their zone like anywhere else on the field. Neat idea, but it would probably just end up being a gift to the opposing alliance.

A robot that can stack all 66 in one zone or a robot that tosses all 66 cubes out of the field. Opposing alliance can’t win if they have nothing to win with :wink:

2 Likes

build an arch between your 2 goal zones. perfectly legal, nearly impossible.

4 Likes

The one problem with this strategy is that most trays can just pick cubes up from inside the goal zone.

I can conform that this is illegal

per SG6

Sg6

Keep Cubes in the field. Teams may not intentionally remove Cubes from the field. While Cubes
may accidentally leave the field when attempting to Score, doing so intentionally or repeatedly would be
a violation of this rule. Cubes that leave the field during Match play, intentionally or unintentionally, will
not be returned.
Minor violations of this rule that do not affect the Match will result in a warning. Match Affecting
offenses will result in a Disqualification. Teams that receive multiple warnings may also receive a Disqualification at the Head Referee’s discretion.

1 Like

My teams did this scenario during round up if I remember the game correctly and they would not re-introduce the elements so the opposing team would end up loosing because you could hoard and dump creating an unfair victory scenario… strange how its now a rule…

2 Likes