Faster Puncher Idea

So my team has a puncher that is really strong. Like strong enough to hit the top flag from the opposite corner of the field. The problem is it is slow. It takes 1-2 seconds to fire. We only use a single motor to power it but it is geared from a 12T to a 36T for more power but that’s where we lose speed. Would two motors be able to handle that much? We are still on the cortex system btw.

0 Likes

Wow, I’m impressed that you have such a powerful puncher on only 1 cortex motor!

I’d recommend that if nothing else you code a button that pulls the puncher back to firing position each time, if you don’t already have that. We do this on a 2 motor puncher & it works well (in conjunction with a ratchet); by the time another shot is lined up the puncher is ready to go and just needs a button press to fire & reset.

0 Likes

We have a shaft encoder that measures its rotation and only runs the motor until it gets to that point so it helps. I guess my real question is how can we speed up the draw time? Does a second motor give it enough power to take around say a second or so?

0 Likes

Putting a second motor on it could possibly add enough power so that maybe you could run high speed motors and speed the whole thing up.

0 Likes

We previously had a similar system as yours with a 3:1 ratio. Since then we have switched to a 2m torque direct puncher and the shot time is 0.8 sec on average. We could go faster but would lose power and shot distance unless we add a 3rd motor. To answer your question, change to a 2m torque direct and make sure the rubber bands are perfectly parallel with the stroke of the puncher that way all the energy is transferred into the ball.

0 Likes

Thanks a ton. That was our plan but we were questioning whether or not it was going to be enough.

0 Likes

Best Way to Run a Puncher on 1 393 Motor