Favourite Autonomous Routines

Please share your favourite autonomous routines and the strategy behind them. Here are 3 routines the boys have conjured up that are more than just a simple block or score sequence. All these sequences were held back until Worlds to prevent replication. :slight_smile:

1. Gateway isolation
    Winning the 20" goals was found to be vital in scrimmage play in NZ. We found that most teams ran a blocking code, holding 2 preloads over the 20" goals until driver control commenced.
    Our auton at Worlds was:
    Drive to block over 20" goals with 2 preloads and hold position for 5 seconds. Then return to start tile and re-position to gather 2 more objects and return to hold block over 20" goals. This sequence interrupted teams running a scoring auton in the 20" goals, as well as starting driver control with 4 objects held instead of 2.

2. Gateway interaction
    Reverse into the stack of objects, pushing some objects into the path of the opposition robot (preventing scoring in the 30" goal) and immediately returning to the starting tile. Score both preloads in the 11" goal. Then load all the matchloads and park over (or at least near) the 30" goal, ready for driver control. The scoring into the 11" goal was activated by the driver tapping a limit switch. Should the robot be hit while reversing into the wall and not return to the starting tile (never happened at Worlds), after 4 seconds without having the limit switch activated, the robot turned 90° and drove forward for 1 second to give a second chance to return to the starting tile.

3. Sack Attack right hand tile
    Pick up pyramid of 5 sacks and (with preload) score 6 sacks in the right trough in 4.5 seconds. Then reverse in an “S” shape path and position to block over the opposition trough in 7.5 seconds. The code then detected if being pushed backwards and adjust drive motor power to hold position and also run the top roller in reverse to prevent the opposition scoring. This sequence had to be completed extremely fast to score before the robot could be blocked and to reach the blocking position before the opposition scored. This code never missed and caused the opposition robot to dump its contents on the field on several occasions as well as scoring 30 points.

Credits
Kerry from Binary Blitz (Avondale College) who inspired the Gateway interaction auton.
Shane “StimpNZ” who coded for Gateway.
Lucas “Telemascope” who coded for Sack Attack.

Cheers, Paul

I think my favorite routine was 599Bs from Round Up. Sure it wasn’t famous and it didn’t get showcased at the World Championships, but it was so perfect. The robot started barely touching the tile with two rings. It scored the rings in the top goal before driving forward to grab a stack, continuing to move forward until it hit the goal at full speed. The goal tipped forward and then the lift came down as the goal was swinging back into equilibrium and scored the stack of rings. The goal would then be used to do a swivel turn and grab another stack before attempting to score.
Of course, this would later be blocked and we ended up scoring into 599D’s monstrosity twice in the finals.

Hi,pual!
Your autonomous mode was so accurate,and the block routine at the World Championships reall shocked us.It both scored and blocked the opposition,that’s one of the most efficient routine I had ever seen at the Worlds.
Well,we’re wondering why did’t you attend the autonomous skills challenge?It’s really a pity!

-String

Hi String!
I decided not to compete in programming skills because of the time commitment it would take to make a good programming skills run. I thought that the time would be better spent practising robot skills and regular match play. Additionally, I didn’t really have the sensors on the robot to do programming skills. I would’ve had to add line followers or ultrasonic sensors, or maybe both just to do programming skills, and if I left these sensors on they would negatively impact the robots performance in games/robot skills (line followers could’ve led to getting stuck on sacks), so I would have to swap them out which would be just too much work.

I’ve actually had several people comment on the accuracy of my autonomous routines, which is odd, because in terms of accuracy, they were nothing special. I actually only used a simple P controller to control the distance the wheels covered, with a little acceleration at the start to prevent wheel slip. In fact, using the IMEs, I found that I didn’t even need to use Kp, as a perfectly usable value was just 1. The idea in keeping the “accurate drive” functions so simple was to sacrifice a little accuracy in an attempt to make each step of the autonomous routine as fast as possible (I also couldn’t be bothered tuning PID constants XD). I found that just a P controller was more than accurate enough for a 15 second autonomous period (although I’m sure that other teams will disagree).

To get the different drives so fast for the routine in question, which scored in my trough and then blocked the opponents trough (anyone who didn’t see it at worlds can see it here http://youtu.be/qkFC0OPJnrE?t=1m) I actually didn’t use any proportional control at all. I just started the next step of the routine as soon as the encoder value was reached. This was accurate enough, because all that the robot needed to do was end up over the opponents trough.

If anyone has any questions about my autonomous routines/code then feel free to PM me, although I’m a bit hesitant to share my code because it’s extremely messy :o.

I quite agree with you.Our routine was based on the lne followers,but they do easily get stuck with the sacks.We even planned to build a synchronous light sensor with the lift part.(Well,obviously it’s useless,for its value might change because of the changeable distance from the ground).It’s really annoying because the arcade is so easily get stuck with the sacks,we tried many methods and changed our arcade structure to increase our cross-country performance.Well,it’s effective enough.

Right now I’m studying the PID control.I don’t quite know how to identify whether the movement had been finished?Or when to stop the PID loop?I only thought of deciding whether the error had been under tolerance for enough time,but i couldn’t thought for a better choice.
And when you’re using the IME,how do you deal with static electricity?Had your autonomous ever been uncontrolable because of the IME?
Are you Lucas or Paul? So are you still going to attend the new season?Hope to see you again!

-String

Our favorite autonomous routine was our Round Up autonomous for Worlds. We found that claws were far superior to our needle at scoring the near stack onto the closest movable weighted base quickly. We programmed an autonomous that would descore the goal first before scoring our own rings. This was devastating to the opponents as we not only took the advantage in autonomous, but also completely wasted most or all of their autonomous time.

Here it is as we were programming it: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v5jQOX-6P-A

Here it is in the only match a team was able to score fast enough (or score at all) to let our autonomous shine. Kudos to 1447 Robosaints for such a fast and consistent autonomous routine, they not only scored the stack extremely quickly, but also grabbed an opponent stack and threw it in the ladder (most of the time) in the 20 second time.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-sN6ISZ8JDw

I also want to highlight this autonomous from 1107B: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gXj88dGRsiA

Their innovation in Gateway never ceased to amaze me and this is where it all started. These early videos of their autonomous routines probably inspired more creative uses of repositioning for many teams. Although this exact routine was used far less in the latter stages of the season, it was definitely an important milestone in Gateway. It was also hilarious to watch them run around the whole field XD

My favorite (and probably the team’s favorite) autonomous from Sack Attack started on the left tile facing the left wall. It picks up the wall sacks, turns toward the left-most trough (same color as tile) picks up a few more sacks and scores them in the same trough. If it gets every sack, it scores 65 with the pre-load. Watch it here: http://youtu.be/bW9RNB7c57Y?t=31s
Credit: Simmons 2.0

The autonomous right before it in the video, (although an old version) was our most reliable, and scored 45 points (with a pre-load).
Credit: Delta

By the way, does any one have a de-scoring autonomous? We made one, but never ran it in a match.

Hey thanks. We always strive to not break the rules, or rather, bend them to our advantage in every way.

We did have a descoring autonomous in Round Up, and I think it worked vs 1103 in our last quarterfinal match. We still lost autonomous because of 254’s single tube on the wall post though. Can’t find a video of it.

Telemascope = Lucas = Young guy
Torqueative = Paul = Old guy
Lucas is working on a special project this season, but will be at University by the time Worlds comes around. Hope to see you guys again also. :slight_smile:

FEAR (Massey University, NZ) ran a de-score + re-score autonomous in College competition at Sack Attack Worlds. This right tile routine was:
Wait 30 seconds for opponent to (hopefully :slight_smile: ) score. Drive to opponents right trough and de-score it. Drive to centre trough and re-score any de-scored sacks + pre-load. This robot “Megalodon” won the create award.

I will see if I can persuade Shane to get off his donkey and post some video of this auton.

Cheers, Paul