Field Riser Plans - updated links

With summer coming (a bit of a break to reorganize), here are up-to-date links for the VEX Team 3547:VIRUS field riser plans for anyone looking to build more storage space:

VRC and IQ, wood and aluminum, are here: FIELD RISER PLANS - Google Drive

The more complex flip-up aluminum IQ field riser is here:
Flip-down IQ Field Riser - Google Drive

There will be some updates in the next few weeks, including better price estimates, but if you check the google drives, you will get the latest versions of each. Coming soon: a wooden version of the VRC field with a slide-out IQ field.

If you have robosource.net cases, they fit nicely under the aluminum VRC field riser:

17 Likes

This is well worth the money. I would say it’s not easy to build, but if you are handy with some tools it’s not too bad. They are great for the classroom, and at tournaments they are the talk of the town! Especially with the new 6x8 fields, I’m one of the few events that is raising their fields for competition.

3 Likes

I’ll add this to the field riser suggestions. Last summer I purchased dunnage racks from Grainger in enough sizes to assemble a 12’x12’ platform.

They only raise the field 12", so there isn’t a lot of under field storage space, but it makes the field look great and eliminated the problem of casual walking on the field by random people. I haven’t tried it, but you could probably create custom 24" legs with PVC pipe you source yourself.

With the sizes they have available, I needed:
4 qty. 36"x96"
2 qty. 24"x96"
2 qty. 24"x48"

I paid about $1000 for one field, but it looks like the price has gone up about 20% since then. I also have a local Grainger dealer, so I could pick up the order and not pay for shipping.

They work great for IQ field risers, too. 2 qty. 36"x96" for one field (or some other geometric configuration that adds up to 6’x8’)

Here is the link to the 36"x96" version: STRUCTURAL PLASTICS Dunnage Rack: Assembled, Snap-Together, 12 in x 36 in x 96 in, Polyethylene - 1PWZ8|D9636 - Grainger

13 Likes

It says it’s snap together, are the legs removable? And if so, how quick are they to attach/remove?

1 Like

Yes, the legs are removable. The tops are injection molded plastic with pockets for the legs. The legs are just one foot sections of PVC pipe that press into the pockets. They are held in with an interference fit. Standing on top of the platform helps seat them once started. A little wiggling of the leg slides them back out easily enough during disassembly.

8 Likes

One of the companies that I do work with makes EPS blocks (Expanded Polystyrene) for construction and I want to find out if they would make me a 12" x 24" x 72" block that could be stacked in configurations to support VRC and IQ fields. I know they can control the density and even apply a surface so the blocks don’t crumble into popcorn pellets. If it works it would be a very lightweight solution.

3 Likes

I’ve been having a bad time with wooden fields. During Tower Takeover season, we had a wooden field to practice on and the weight of the robot would wear down the sheets of wood in the middle of the 4 : : legs. This resulted in the robot placing cube towers on this field way different than how they should be placed before states. Wooden fields can:

1. Hinder autonomouses
  2. Cause robots to operate way mechanically different due to deformities in the wood

I would probably advise teams to just stay away from wooden fields or any field that can flex or deviate over time from what they are intended to. (Likely stick to a regular on-ground field or use metal)

3 Likes

I agree, poorly designed wooden fields can be a problem, while well-designed and well-built fields are definitely better. That’s why I have made plans for well-designed wooden field available.

4 Likes