flywheel and cortex issues

so our flywheel is slowing down our cortex so that it takes a long time for our cortex to respond to the joystick. this makes it really difficult to drive and aim the flywheel. our flywheel is running on 3 highspeed vex 393 motors on a 1:25 gear ratio. we have a 6 motor torque drive train, and a 1 motor turbine.

I haven’t built many flywheels in v4, however I believe your gear ratio on the flywheel is a bit too high. 3 motors my provide enough torque, but most stick to a 1:25 gear ratio without the high speed gears. You might have better luck switching the gears back to low speed. However, I’ve never heard of this overloading the cortex… check all of your wires, along with your Vexnet connection before testing. Did you try driving without the flywheel plugged in?

could we just lower the speed of the flywheel in the code?

As what I can understand your flywheel and drivetrain are most likely using the same battery. I would highly suggest making your flywheel be solely power expander and the drivetrain be on the CORTEX. This way the power draw of the flywheel would not affect the drive. If this does not solve your problem, would it be possible to post your code?

we are using a power expander for our flywheel, and here’s our code:


task usercontrol()
{
while(true)
{
slaveMotor(port7,port5);
slaveMotor(port5,port3); //left drivetrain
slaveMotor(port6,port4); //right drivetrain
slaveMotor(port4,port1);
slaveMotor(port10,port2); // flywheel

motor(port2) = 127;


//chassis
motor(port1) = vexRT(Ch2);
motor(port3) = vexRT(Ch3);
	//intake
if(vexRT[Btn6D] == 1)
{
motor(port9) = 127;
}
else if(vexRT[Btn6U] == 1)
{
motor(port9) = -127;
}
	else
	{
		motor(port9) = 0;
	}
	//cap descorer
if(vexRT[Btn8L] == 1)
{
	motor(port8) = 69;
}
else if(vexRT[Btn8D] == 1)
{
	motor(port8) = -69;
}
else
{
motor(port8) = 0;


/*
//flywheel on buttons
if(vexRT[Btn5U] == 1)
{
motor(port2) = 127;
}
	else
	{
		motor(port2) = 0;
	}
*/
}
}
}

so we decided to try running the flywheel today but we took the turbine off of the power expander so now the expander only controls the flywheel, and it worked pretty well, so I guess we solved our problem