Flywheel is not working

The flywheel is not spinning fast enough and often pauses while spinning. it is a 7:1 gear ratio and a blue cartridge. Does anyone know a way to fix it.

Can you send a picture of your flywheel set up and code?

1 Like

Yeah sure. Tomorrow i am able to send it to you

we talked to someone in the robotics field at nasa and they said it is not healthy for the motor to have any more than a 7:1 ratio but you could sometimes push it there

1 Like

check your power usage

find my thread about flywheel analysis

friction

BALANCE issues

4 Likes

How would we check the friction. Also what could cause it

here are the pictures of the flywheel and code

1 Like

I think that we might have added to many spacers and need to condense it.

1 Like

Ok there’s a lot to talk about here so this might be a long one:

First and foremost you’re using a 1 wide for support, which is just a bad idea. Thing bends in 10 seconds which it already looks like it has. I’d say use standoffs instead, because they are much more stable (if you’re in a shortage, you can use c channels with shoulder screws probably)

Secondly, your flywheel is literally being held up on one side only. Friction is caused mostly by things not being aligned and the axel not being able to rotate perfectly straight. You have one side weakly supported by 1 wides that bend by pressing your finger lightly on it. Do the math.

Thirdly you NEED to have a c channel / 3 wide and a bearing flat on the other side of that wheel. Im glad that the flywheel doesn’t spin, because that wheel would’ve probably flown off immediately at 4200 rpm: doesn’t sound like a fun day for whoever gets hit by it. The axel doesn’t have two points of support which will increase the friction 100x fold (exaggeration but you get it).

Fourth, you need shoulder screws. Those are the screws that look kinda like this:

They basically make your alignment perfect, which = less friction which = working flywheel. You’ll have to use spacers to fit it in. Send pics after.

6 Likes

Can you explain a bit more

I’ll simplify what @UvuvwevweOnyetenye said
in the best that I can for you

The one wide metal piece shown below does not support the two sides enough, use standoffs to do so.

There is nothing below the wheel to support it at make it smoother. This make the wheel more wobbly and more likely to fly off. If anything, please do this first.

And use the shoulder screws if available to straighten things out.

Hope this helps and good luck with your flywheel :slight_smile:

(Edit: I can also see that in your notebook in the background, you use lowercase letters. At least in my region, the judges prefer every letter being uppercase)

8 Likes

that makes really good sense

Thank you. I will try that tuesday when I get a chance

1 Like

ok well i talked to someone in the hamburger field at mcdonalds and they said that anything up to a 15:1 ratio is fine sooo…

21 Likes

Interesting. As someone who has judged before, I never really notices us having a preference for this. I guess I should bring it up at the next event I volunteer at…

7 Likes

Can you point to the part of the judges guide or rubric that suggests that this could be a benefit? In normal circumstances, technical documentation should not be completely capitalised and on the whole, would follow the writing norms. Reading large blocks of text that use only capital letters can actually be pretty difficult.

Apologies for the thread drift, as you were.

4 Likes

I wouldn’t say it’s a requirement to write in all capital letters. However, a few months back my team had interviewed a few judges from my region at a robotics event (Not a competition, just some event) and they had said they prefer notebooks with all uppercase letters.

I have no idea why they would prefer these notebooks but hey, if I can get more brownie points I’ll take ‘em.

They probably meant 200:3:5

What region are you?

1 Like

I’m in agreement with the observations so far:

1. your 1x2 c-channel is not supported on each side, which leads to the metal being slightly (or worse) not parallel. this leads to increased shaft/bearing friction due to misalignment.

2. the other side of the flywheel needs to be supported by a bearing. there are serious balance issues at play with a flywheel, and imbalances cause vibrations which DRASTICALLY increase friction.

3. The bearing directly below the red gear should have the shaft going through the middle hole. When mounted this way, there’s more even holding force from the bolts/nuts. When mounted your way, there a LARGE tendency for the bearing to bend/kick up, become misaligned, cause friction, and overheat your motor.

4. I would expect a properly aligned frame, with good bearings in alignment, shafts that are smooth and not bent, with a 3k rpm flywheel, at max speed, to use 1.5-2.5 watts of power. You can display the power usage to the brain and go from there.

4 Likes