Flywheel Motor Help

How many motors are people using and what color cartridge are they? My teammate and I have tried a one motor flywheel with a blue motor and we have struggled with getting it to work so we wanna get some ideas.

Might want to check out other existing threads regarding the subject. I will say though that most teams use 3000 - 4200 rpm and 1-2 motors.

3 Likes

i had the exact same problem, I found out that the blue motor is probably the best with 300rpm but you need to gear it up like with two 3 inch gears. Like 9motorgang said

1 Like

Do you mean 3000rpm?

1 Like

no blue motors are 300 rpm

Might want to double check your source.

23 Likes

i use to blue motors geared up and it goes brrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr

3 Likes

You need to communicate your gear ratio or take a picture. The most common setup is 1-2M 5:1 (60T to 12T) on a 4" wheel [flex] with blue 600 RPM carts in the motor. This is simple but doesn’t result in the kind of really high speeds needed to do solid cross-field shots that you might see on youtube.

7:1 ratios are more capable but WILL burn out a single motor, so 2 motors is a MUST.

More Motors = less time to spin up and less likelyhood of burnout.

Higher Gear ratio = faster flywheel top speed, at the expense of motor power draw (requires more power)

Bigger wheel = faster edge speed. Smaller wheels need a larger gear ratio to work.

EDIT: 72–> 60

5 Likes

Either that or 500rpm I get it mixed up sometimes but either way the setup works

Might want to triple check your source.

11 Likes

Fiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiine, it’s 600rpm,

You win ok

4 Likes

A 5:1 ratio would be a 60:12 on a 600 cart

3 Likes

Might want to check my threads on motor readings. No problems so far with 1 motor at 4200 rpm.

1 Like

And thank you indeed for those threads. I like it when people give me free data :slightly_smiling_face:

Not a problem. I do request that you make a good effort to add your config/data to the thread. thanks.

I don’t have access to it right now, but when I do, of course I will. Other people should do the same. It’s a valuable resource to all of us, and improving/adding to it for others is always great.

if you tune it rlly well and have a velocity controller, it’s super easy to overshoot the goal

2 Likes

will a 3 inch 60:12 double flywheel burn out a single motor? if so, do you mean permanently damage the motor or just overheat it?

with 600 RPM cartridges, I mean.

From personal experience if you’re using a 3” Flywheel instead of a 4” Flywheel I would highly recommend 4200rpms instead of 3000. As long as it is built with good quality you shouldn’t run into too many motor problems with only one motor. It is a temporary problem. If it overheats, just wait for the motor to cool back down and it’s good as new. If you’re extremely worried about your motor overheating during a competition etc. I recommend making your motors hot-swapable which involves removing the screws from the motor cap and fastening it together with zip ties or rubber bands.