Flywheel Recovery

I’ve noticed lately that teams have gotten some really outstanding fire rates. However, from general discussion on the forums it seems that all flywheel velocity control programs like TBH or PID still seem to have a recovery time of around 2 seconds or greater. Is there any insight on how some teams have maxed out their flywheel speeds? Is it programming? Or is it unique designs? Do single flywheels fare better at this? just a few questions that I’m hoping could be answered.

I think it is a combination of both. You need to get your friction down as much as you can first, then you can apply a software control algorithm to optimize speed.

I’ve worked with that and I am curious to see what algorithms they are using. From what I’ve heard many just can’t recover fast enough.

Many teams actually use P or other velocity control systems to set the flywheels at speed 127 between shots to increase recovery time. My single flywheel went from 1.2 seconds between shots to about 0.9 when I did this. Hope this helps. :slight_smile:

Just add more mass to the flywheel, it will hurt spin up but if fire rate is what you want that’s the thing to do

It seems that when you have a very heavy flywheel it doesn’t slow down as fast, for obvious reasons. However they do eventually slow down. So a heavy flywheel combined with a PID program seems like a good idea. As long as your flywheel does its full court shots at a low power level.
I’m really only going by my rough calculations and ideas. Does anyone have any experience with this? (Heavy flywheel with low speed court shots and PID)

One thing I would say is if your flywheel is ‘heavy’ (ill leave you up to decide what this means) you should probably be using a ratcheting mechanism to reduce strain on the motors. Using a PID controller can help with a more aggressive ramp meaning your motors get to your setpoint faster. But a badly tuned controller can also introduce overshoot.