Since the beginning of the season (even after a rebuild I did for states), I’ve noticed that my flywheel takes a pretty long time to rev up to max speed (~5 seconds) and after shooting one disc, takes ~3 seconds to rev back up to speed before shooting the next one. Compared to other flywheel bots I’ve seen, this takes much longer and it’s been affecting the amount of discs I can score during my 15-sec autonomous. I’ve already tried reducing as much friction as possible and I even used grease between the bearings and the axles to make it smoother, but it still takes a long time. I use a 3600 RPM (no cartridge) motor. Any suggestions on how to make it more efficient?
Are there supports to it? Is it tightented too much? Our team has experiance it alot. Add a lot of supports but not to tight.
Compression and weight of the flywheel matters.
Have fun tuning!
one of good idea is using PID control
Actually, the normal PID control isn’t that efficient for the Flywheel. There’s better things like TBH
A video would be great to helo see but some common fw issues that yoy should look into is fructoin, fw weights to increacese inertia so that it looses less speed when firing and how much compression between fw and disc.
If you have access to flywheel weights, use them. They really help with RPM loss after firing a disc.
If you don’t have any weights, consider using a black straight flex wheel, they are a bit heavier and have more momentum.
I’ve noticed that a well tuned PID with feedforward can be as good or even better than a TBH controller
The v5 smart motors have a built in pid controller that really does’t work well for flywheels. My team switched to setting the voltage of the motor, which gets rid of the built in pid. Then, we made our own pid controlling the voltage. Our spin up time is down to 2 seconds and our recovery time is 0.25 seconds.