Flywheel Speed

Does anybody have any ideas how teams such as 8059A have gotten their flywheel to continuously spin and the balls to continuously go thru without having to wait for the flywheel to regain its speed?

The flywheel does take time to regain speed, it just happens a lot faster than most other teams have been able to achieve due to their excellent engineering and the type of flywheel they use (single 5 inch flywheel).

One of the basic principles to remember is that the more mass the flywheel has, the shorter amount on time between shots. But the longer it will take to spin up.

I’m not sure if that is true since adding mass decreases the deceleration, but also the acceleration. This means that it won’t slow down as much but it will accelerate slower. I have not done any testing on this, but by reading forum posts it seems that you need enough mass that the deceleration doesn’t affect the launch speed on the ball (slowing down mid shot), but any mass beyond that reduces your acceleration between shots.
Like I said, I have not tested any of this so I could be very much wrong.

Well as I understand it a flywheel with more mass will have more momentum when it is at its desired speed compared to a flywheel with less mass. Yes, you will lose acceleration as it is harder for the motors to drive the wheels with higher mass. But because the wheels have more momentum the effect of firing the ball on the speed of the flywheel will be lessened. Meaning the motors have less of a ‘gap’ to fill in terms of getting the speed of the flywheel back to a preset point.

In my testing ( at least ) this means a longer acceleration period, but shorter times between the shots.

Their robot was built in one day actually and they might of modified it since their competition. I’ve had that style shooter for quite some time because i don’t like dual wheels. Its all a matter of proper spacing and correct gear ratios.