Front Claw Strategy

Our team has a front claw (a six bar linkage with a claw), and we were just wondering how we could be more competitive against the really fast back dumpers/claws in our area? Getting overwhelmed is far to easy, as it seems, so we want to figure out how we can be more competitive for our state championships. We know that in China, teams with front claws are doing very well, but we don’t know how we can emulate them - they seem so fast!

I would suggest a 5:1 or a 7:1 with high speed motors for speed, although I imagine you already have something built. Add tons of elastics and make sure the capacity is greater than 4 stars. A fast drive helps a lot as well, and you would want to really focus on the near zone to get the most out of your design.

@Alex Baggins Currently we have a Holonomic X Drive that is relatively fast, but not really when under high loads. If we switch to tank drive, I think that we can solve our speed issue.

Do you have any suggestions for forward tipping issues? Currently we have anti tips which deploy through a rail-truck rubberband system, but we want to solve this issue without using them at all.

A tank drive should help, but make sure you can still turn relatively quickly.

How long is your base? It will need to be the full 17.5"s with the towers at the very back to minimise tipping problems, and its best if the wheels are as far forwards as legally possible. You might try a wider but shorter claw (if you don’t already have that) which would still allow for a decent capacity while bringing the weight of the stars closer to the robot.

What my team does is that we use the tank tread roller wheels at the very front of our robot, that usually helps prevent tipping, but if that doesn’t work, you may need to keep your current anti-tips.

here’s the link to the roller wheels that I’m talking about

If you don’t have those you can always use the pulleys with a screw and a nylock as well. Another usefull way of making small passive wheels is to put the round inserts in the high strength shaft collars (for the high strength shafts), and then use a screw and a nylock for those.

That’s actually really smart, thanks for sharing that tip with us all!