Game Design Animation Emphasis

I really liked the smoothness of the animation in the first one. The second one was okay but I feel like the balls could fall a bit faster because it seemed to take a lot of time for them to all fall down. I know this is just like a test animation but one thing I would suggest is to slow it down for a second and then put it at a more believable or faster speed. Granted, it’s my own opinion but I feel like it has more of a dramatic effect than just over all slow motion.

I am very curious as to what this game you have animated is about and I would say focus on explanation since the animation looks great :slight_smile: keep up the good work. I think your entry last year was very interesting and your animation for this current one is already looking better ^^

I really liked the smoothness of the animation in the first one. The second one was okay but I feel like the balls could fall a bit faster because it seemed to take a lot of time for them to all fall down. I know this is just like a test animation but one thing I would suggest is to slow it down for a second and then put it at a more believable or faster speed. Granted, it’s my own opinion but I feel like it has more of a dramatic effect than just over all slow motion.

I am very curious as to what this game you have animated is about and I would say focus on explanation since the animation looks great :slight_smile: keep up the good work. I think your entry last year was very interesting and your animation for this current one is already looking better ^^

The normals of the field perimeter in the first clip are messed up. Applying an edit poly modifier followed by a smooth modifier with auto smooth selected on all field perimeter objects should fix this.

I can see that you are using the built in sky thiny, it’s a good idea but perhaps a good HDR light-probe might do better. I have my own that I used for my field renders, but it’s inaccessible to me at the moment (I had a data-storage oops you might say, which I’m in the middle of resolving).

Finally, I don’t see any form of shadows enabled. I only use raytraced shadows, which will increase render time a lot but from what I understand shadow maps aren’t that heavy. So maybe try rendering with shadow maps? Shadows = good.

All of my instructions were geared towards Max, sorry about that I shouldn’t have assumed.

I definitely preferred the first one both in terms of animation and usefulness in a game animation. In general I find that just because you CAN do something doesn’t mean you should, and all the stuff going on in the second video made it looked cluttered and sort of confusing. Keep it simple and give yourself time to make it look good with all the stuff Cody was talking about, rather than trying to add helicopters and robots breaking out of TVs and stuff that doesn’t really add to explaining the game.

This is all in my humble engineering major cannot design something aesthetic if his life depended on it opinion.

Well, for one, the FTC game is actually possible to produce in a $500 kit. :smiley:

Make your lights non-point. IE, emit from a small volume. It’s free in terms of complexity and will give you soft shadows. I don’t know exactly how to do it in Maya.

Actually those numbers don’t sound all that crazy.

You should watch this: https://vexforum.com/t/codys-3ds-max-tutorial-series/23387/1

Even though it’s max, and focus on what I do to get the results I get then try to do the same in Maya. All of the MR features are there.

In general I’d look at materials next. You have some pretty saturated colors on some objects. As a general rule of thumb, I don’t max saturate anything, and I tend to avoid any color that looks like it would have been in the 256 color pallet.

https://vexforum.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=8610&stc=1&d=1411759559

Little small adjustments work well here. Mess with the hue, sat and value until you have something that you wouldn’t mind having to stare at for an hour.

Great job hanging in there, remember that this has to be renderable and finishable, so tweak to a point then go create more content.
fwefwef.jpg

Yeah that’s not an issue anymore. But I don’t want to upload that video, I’ve gotten significantly better at doing videos now and I would prefer to just upload a new one when I get the time.

That being said, VEX is way too specific to make these kinds of videos for. I could impact way more people if I generalized it to “this is how to use 3ds max.” But, oh well. I’ve never really saw myself as a YouTuber, and school is legitimately killing me.

So yeah. Very cool makeshift renderfarm. I’ve wanted to do something like that but my schools IT had everything locked down hard.

Hi Everyone,
We deleted a few posts out of this thread. Please remember to try to stay on topic. :slight_smile:

One thing about the toss bosses is that they can produce a great game. This is just evident through the previews in this thread. Good luck in the competition.

100x better. Still seems kind of hazy tho, not sure why.

It’s a lot more clear, but you know what I’ll let the community chime in on this one.

Besides, I’m tired. Just do whatever you think is best, and mind the timeframe. You still have to finish.

I think it looks much better without the fog. It might be a bit bright, but I think it’s still better than the hazy look.

He can add black or reduce saturation on the materials to get the brightness down.

+1

Less/no fog
Much crisper

Nice work. Great to see attention to detail with rotating objects like wheels and gears - very impressive.

Congrats on finishing, this is an accomplishment in itself, good luck!