Geared 4 motor drivetrain

You might want to add zip ties connecting the red gear to the wheel to help reduce slop.

2 Likes

Lmao what.​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​

6 Likes

could you explain the other benefits of this in detail?

1 Like

Think about it.
If you have the gear connected to the axle and the axle connected to the wheel, it will take more time for the wheel to spin up because it takes a longer transmission to get the wheel to spin, but the zip ties make that transmission shorter.

It’s talked about in this video when he talks about the drive and the wheels.

I guess to simplify, it makes the wheel spin with the gear.

1 Like

That is very much not the case. Mind providing a timestamp in the video?

4 Likes

oh man…

you don’t need to use HS shafts on a drive, LS ones work perfectly fine given they’re supported on both sides and there’s not a ton of stress on the actual drivetrain. However, since you already drilled out holes, you might as well finish the job. you will have overheating issues due to the excess friction though.

Instead, you should do these few things so you’re not putting excess stress on your chassis for no reason.

The rail you’re using to support the wheels is very clearly bending., and it’s also just got a good use of that piece. add another c channel on that side with bearing flats to support the axles that are on the wheel and the idler gear, and have an additional c channel go across both c-channels on either side of your wheel. it will make a huge difference since you’re literally pushing the rail on your wheels creating excess friction.

here’s a picture if you need an example image

additionally, you can SCREW in (or zip-tie) your wheels into the red gear to reduce SLOP. if you do screw them in, make sure to use spacers so you’re not pressing the gear and the wheel together more than necessary. here’s a picture if you need an example

also, if climbing up the platform is a huge problem for you, just switch to using all traction wheels. Although it’s 100 percent possible to climb the platform using all omni-wheels or a combination of the two, if it’s giving you a problem just switch to all traction.

9 Likes

Try 1:50

Edit: I guess the post above by @nitrospam explains it more clearly.

1 Like

why would all traction be beneficial? all traction makes turning bad, and would be worse at climbing than omnis because omnis have more traction.

3 Likes

it isn’t better, especially from a programmer’s perspective. but he is most likely having issues with climbing related to driver error, where changing the yaw of the bot would let the bot roll sideways cause of the omnis. ive seen a decent amount of low-level teams in my area struggle with this. if he wants to go all omni, he can go all omni. i said that purely as a booster-seat type recommendation, not because i actually think it’s the better choice

3 Likes

fair enough, I have noticed that if a bot angles when climbing, omnis tend to let it slide off.

But I dislike all traction so much that I would put not climbing as the least terrible option if the choice was between that and all traction.

3 Likes

Ok. Thank you
20 char

To reduce friction, do you think it would be dumb to use low strength on the motor and high strength on the wheel without a motor? Or would that dumb. We tried it and are having overheating using the mix match version. I will post a picture later to show you so we can see if it is spacing causing the issues.

the frictional difference between low and high strength is not what’s causing your overheating issue. the build issues that @nitrospam pointed out earlier are almost certainly the culprit here.

4 Likes

I changed most of them. I will post pictures in a minute. Thank yoy for replying so fast!

1 Like

definitely an improvement, nice job

Is there still anything you would think could cause extra friction? If you don’t think so and xenon does not think so, I will change the motors and see if that helps. Here are some better pics.

I did not do the whole slip fix thing, but if you think that will really help I can try. Our wheels do not have those holes.

To me it looks like your support. The outside bar is only held on by those two stand-offs, so any slop in those stand-offs will offset the holes adding friction. Adding a strong support with a channel can help, so can using stand-offs on the ends of the drive base.

3 Likes