Gen 2 Brain Issues

We are trying out the 2nd generation VEX IQ brain, and we are having some issues with the motors freezing up, and the controller buttons not doing the right thing. When we were trying out our robot code, and put our 2-motor lift down, one of the motors temporarily froze up and made the whole lift misaligned. Also, sometimes when we press a button, the button does the wrong thing, and instead of it doing what it is supposed to do, it performs the same function as the previous button pressed. These issues happen quite frequently and make the robot much harder to control.

When we tried the code on a 1st generation brain, it worked just fine, so I don’t think these are coding issues. The firmware on the brain is also up to date as far as I know, so that is probably not the issue.

Is anyone else having similar problems with the new brain, or know how to fix them?

Thanks

Send me the project and I will try and reproduce the issue.

1 Like

Wait how do you have the second gen brain???

We got a 2nd gen brain from one of the new vex kits that can be found here.

I won’t post @94568 's code, but the issue was multiple event handler registration, this is the message I sent them.

The issue is creating event handlers in a loop.

Every time you call the “pressed” or “released” function on a button, vexcode registers a new event handler for that button, so calling Controller.ButtonRUp.pressed(catSpin); in a loop registers the function catSpin many times until vexos runs out of resources. When the button is pressed, vexos will also try and call that function as many times as you have registered it, but as there are limited resources for calling functions simultaneously, not all of them will actually run. IQ1 and IQ2 will have slightly different behavior as IQ2 has more memory and can run more simultaneous event handlers.

4 Likes

We have the same problem with the Gen2 brain. After about 40 seconds, the reverse motor button stops working on their intake. No issue with Gen1 brain and current joystick code.

You want to send me your code as well and I can see what’s going on.

2 Likes

Code sent with a description. Thank you for taking the time to review

1 Like