Going to Regionals for my first time, what to expect?

Hey everyone,

So, my team has qualified for the regional tournaments in March, and I’m quite nervous, as I, personally, have never been at a regional tournament. Would any of you experienced vex people give me a few pointers as to what to expect at my first regional tournament?

Thanks a lot!

I don’t know what region you are in, but this is how it is for me in South California. You have probably seen which teams are a lot better in your region at competitions, and you probably have competed vs them a bit. At regionals, you will be competing vs all of them at once. You also don’t have those “lucky teams” who are pretty bad and just got a good schedule. There will be teams that get lucky and place higher than they should, but they still have good robots, so don’t discount them. During qualification matches, it will be the same as a normal competition but with better teams. However, alliance selection is THE MOST IMPORTANT PART. You should try and predict how the selection will go, and then account for which teams you want to be with. For example, if you are a ring bot at a competition and there is only one other ring bot, you may want to pick them to try and steal ring capabilities from other teams. You may also want to “steal” picks. This means if you rank high, you select the team that would work very well for the second seed so that way they won’t be better than you. The thing I would recommend the most during alliance selection is to think about which team you will win with, not which teams you will do best with. Just because you might score more points with one robot, you could win more with another. That is really seen this game with rings.

3 Likes

I’m currently in Texas Region 2

Also, what do you mean, there won’t be any lucky teams? I’ve seen that a lot of not the best teams have qualified for regionals, so some clarification would be nice. In my region, at least.

1 Like

I don’t really keep up with texas region 2, but here in south california only top teams have been getting into regional tournaments except for a few. It will probably be different for you.

Edit: I am going to do a bit of research into texas region 2 to try and give more precise advice.

1 Like

Alright, thanks a lot for your advice! :slight_smile:

I am so sorry, I meant to say Texas Region 3. Sorry for the wrong info.

Texas region 3 has 5 middle school events left, so you can look to those events to see which teams have a chance at qualifying. Once you have looked at at that, you can get a sense of what robots will be there. If you know who is going, you can strategize with a team before you go, and make modifications to your robot to try and get an advantage. As said, I don’t keep up with texas regions, so you will need to do a lot of your own scouting if you want to use these strategies. Good luck at Regionals!

2 Likes

Have fun and learn! Ask questions of your peer teams. Make friends!

The competition will be the same as any other with more more-capable teams than at a weekend tournament. No need to be starstruck.

Congratulations on qualifying!

10 Likes

Regionals may be a little bit larger than a normal tournament. The biggest difference is the competition. The teams are usually better, and even though there are still teams that aren’t great, quite a few have been weeded out by this stage.

Clearly, the stakes are higher. Depending on your region, you may have many worlds spots that can be allocated at regionals, or just a couple. Judging is more intense. Alliance selection is absolutely critical to doing well, as @Milo mentioned above. You should be scouting quite a bit.

All in all, I find Regionals to be similar to a normal tournament. Try to have fun and enjoy the experience!

7 Likes

Thanks a lot everyone!

This is the worst statement that I have read. An alliance that has won over another has legit won. You can rationalize it as so-called “luck”, but if it is because your robot tipped over, or battery came unplugged etc. that is on you. As a team on an alliance, be prepared to win a match 1 v 2. Luck has less to do with success at a tournament than a team ready to operate at its top operational performance.

As for Regional/state Championship - determine what your goal is. If you want to advance to Worlds, then plan at being your very best at performance (skills) and do those early before your robot gets beat up and your team tires out; second, be considered for multiple judged awards - take notebook seriously and be ready to present your team as the best of the best in front of judges; and, lastly, qualifying rounds - get to know all your alliance teams and complement them (even if you think they were “lucky”, they may be in a picking positions during alliance selection). Have good scouts - learn from all the teams there. You will learn a lot. Also, you will make new friends - so be positive, down the road, those shared experiences at tournaments can end up being a lifelong bond.

Have fun, and enjoy!

8 Likes

I am talking about when a team who is basically the equivalent of a tipped over robot getting carried to victory in almost all of their matches. Its a fair win, and I am not complaining about it because it is part of competing. It’s just you don’t see as much of this in high level regional competitions.

1 Like

Thanks for congratulating us!

I know @lacsap mentions this as it is a common goal for teams. But remember that “success” is an internal sense of accomplishment. External laurels and recognition can be nice, but ultimately it’s really about pushing yourself. A team could lose every match at a tournament and still come away feeling it was a “success” if they have achieved the goals they set for themselves

7 Likes

Thanks for your advice, and I have to say, I completely agree. Though my team had lost during the division finals, we felt it was a success because we learned how to scout better, as well as learn our strengths and weaknesses. Failure had become a success in my eyes.

1 Like

truth - used one goal metric here … plenty of other success metrics to achieve!

1 Like

If it is happening at almost all of their matches, then it might not be “luck” but rather a well executed strategy :slight_smile:

7 Likes