GPS code not working properly

Recently obtained and set up the GPS v2 field code on my field and double checked accuracy. Then mount my GPS sensor properly on the rear of my robot and modified an example code (tangent coordinate code) to test moving point to point without known starting point. The robot, no matter what three example codes were ran, just spun in a circle. We made progress though. It now spins in a slower circle. Help!

“When in danger or in doubt, run in circles, scream and shout.” The naval adage, quoted in Wouk’s 1951 “The Caine Mutiny” and again in Heinlein’s 1973 “Time Enough for Love” is your robot.

Let’s remove the doubt. Can you post the code for us? If you run the code at different places on the field is it the same results?

Key words in your note is “and modified an example code” Does it work with the plain example code?

5 Likes

Crazy_Train_Skills.v5blocks (27.1 KB)

I would like to give a little bit of warning about the GPS sensor. We found that it was not plug and play(using vex example code) it took our team about 3 months to get it to point where it was effective and we still have problems now.

I just want you to know what you are getting yourself into.

2 Likes

Yeah. We have two weeks before comp, and I wanted to see if we could build a GPS routed skills code without struggle. This is not the case.

2 Likes

I had problems where the GPS couldn’t see its position in the corners of the field, and it would just return the same position from its last measurement. This caused my auton to spin in circles in the corner of the field.
I fixed this by integrating the GPS and my old odometry system in my program.
Also, the .quality() function returns how well the GPS can see its position. If SENSOR_NAME.quality() does not return 100, then the GPS can’t see its position.

3 Likes