Gyroscope Yaw Sensor

Hi all. So I have a gyroscope yaw sensor thingy. I see this is discontinued. Is there any worth in it/why was it discontinued? Thanks!

Don’t quote me on this, but I’m pretty sure either the new V5 cortex or motor has a gyroscope sensor built in, and if that’s the case, that’s probably why the old ones have been discontinued.

I don’t believe this is the case, but there is supposed to be a new v5 gyro releasing soon
(per https://www.vexrobotics.com/v5-architecture.html, listed at the bottom of the page)

3 Likes

I’d say they’re still good for this comp. I know a team last year that was able to get super precise turns in their beginning of the match auton where they sniped the opponents flag from the back starting square.

1 Like

The gyro allows you to easily measure the direction your robot is facing and make corrections (accurate turning in auto, field centric holonomic drives, etc.). It’s pretty useful.

It’s been discontinued because the parts it used have stopped being produced, and secondly, the rumormill says a better version will be coming out next year.

1 Like