Has anyone ever tried a Spider-Bot?

Has anyone ever tried to make, like, a walker? I’m thinking I want to do something like the scorpion tank in BLR.

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/s/fer8fbp0nxcpoc1/BLR_Scorpion_Tank.png?dl=0

I want to try to take home the design award by thinking outside the box.

I might be mistaken, but I always thought that the Design award is for the robot that is best designed for the game, not the one that looks the coolest. :slight_smile:

If your robot looks cool but is terrible at the game (and a walker robot probably isn’t the most efficient idea), I don’t think you could get the Design award. If it looks cool and works well, that’s good, but I don’t think the looking cool will help you much.

The design looks really interesting, but I feel that the drive would be insanely hard to code, and that after you built the drive, there’d be no motors left for the lift…

Of course, keep in mind that design is entirely separate from implementation. (c.f. a team a couple of years back won the design award at Worlds with a robot that was non-operational for many–if not all–matches.) If a team can justify why the spider bot is as good or better than the other options for playing the game and demonstrate a solid design process, there’s nothing preventing this design from winning the design award.

Also, it is important to remember that efficiency is not the same as good design. The award is not given because “your robot was built well,” nor is it given because “your robot was super efficient.” (Warning: the following starts to be my not-necessarily-common opinion) In fact, the award has nearly nothing to do with your robot at all. Instead, the award is all about how you came to arrive at that design for the robot. It’s an award for process, not results. Of course, results are nice, and they can help sway judges in your favor (face it–it’s easier to vote for something that works than something that doesn’t), but results aren’t ultimate.

An aside: if this is built to be “award-seeking,” the Build award may be a better target. That said, I’ve found that it’s a good idea to just try and design/build the best robot you can, rather than trying to be “extra creative” in attempts to win an award. Do what is necessary, and do that really well–awards will follow.

//Andrew

As people have said before, the design award is mainly focused on the design process and the engineering notebook. Therefore, for this robot to win a design award, you have to make sure you have solid reasoning for how and why you came to choose the walker design, and then document the process of building and optimizing the robot in a detailed manner.

While the reasoning given for the spider-bot may not be enough for a design award, it should definitely win an innovate award!

P.S. I’m not discouraging you from making the design. Its always great to see a unique design succeed. Just make sure you can make that unique design effective.

If done correctly, you could make this with only 4 motors. I don’t know if it would be possible with VEX parts though. If you had each motor move a horizontal cam to cause a leg to move forward, and at the same time, activate a vertical cam to lift the leg off the ground, it would produce a walking motion.

Good Luck. From experience, a robot that can perform at 80% with good drivers, an excellent notebook, semi good skills, and a UNIQUE design with win many awards including excellence awards.