Help 2616 Survive

1 year after winning the State Championship and the Virtual World Championship, the Cherry Hill school district is planning on shutting down the 2616 teams. Our club includes 14 teams and more than 60 students and is the most extensive STEM club in the school. Please help us convince the school district to keep the club alive. We’ve made the World Championship 10 times in a row and won the State Championship more than 5 times and continue to get students interested in STEM and robotics. Please help us continue by signing the petition below.

The club is being shut down because the district does not want to pay our advisor. Without pay, no one will take up the position after our current advisor steps down, effectively ending the club.

We have been operating on a minimal budget for years. The district has given us a total of $0 in the 10 years that we’ve been active and we’re completely self funded. The first time we ask for money(which we feel is deserved-after the hard work our advisor has put in, he deserves to be paid) they are planning on declining, which would effectively end the club.

All this after our most successful year.

81 Likes

It’s crazy to see an organization of this caliber getting shut down (possibly). I really hope you guys can keep on for years to come. Competing against you guys was awesome, learned so much from your robots. Best luck!

30 Likes

It’s really surprising to see an attempt to shut down such a successful organization (both on the competitive and education level). I hope you can convince your district of the importance of preserving your org.

16 Likes

That must suck. 67101’s middle school program got shut down, but at least our high school program is still around.

I would recommend figuring out why the school is shutting you down. Do they not want to fund it? Then start some fundraisers in the community. Do they think it is a waste of time? Show them how much you can learn. Hope you can get them to help.

2 Likes

Yeah, if this happens, the high school and 2 middle school programs will all be shut down.

3 Likes

Do you know why they want to shut it down?

2 Likes

A lack of funding, but I know that the football team(4 wins in 6 years) runs more of a surplus than is required.

6 Likes

Yeah… Our school kind of did a similar thing when it shut down. They kept having sport practices, but cut some of our budget and limited the times we could meet.

2 Likes

I would recommend trying to do some fundraisers. See about getting sponsorships from local businesses. Maybe try and host an event with a higher registration cost.

3 Likes

We have been operating on a minimal budget for years. The district has given us a total of $0 in the 10 years that we’ve been active and we’re completely self funded. The first time we ask for money(which we feel is deserved-after the hard work our advisor has put in, he deserves to be paid) they are planning on declining, which would effectively end the club.

All this after our most successful year.

5 Likes

It would help to have more details - for example, is it shutting down for this year because of covid-19 costs and they can’t support club until finances for district is back?

Also, would district keep club running if you raised funds independently?

What does your club advisor think? propose?

I think you need to look for local solution first before posting here - we are still waiting to be back in school for all students here.

I would add - outside signatures will dilute the impact of your petition.

9 Likes

If I sign this will Aryan stop being mean to me?

3 Likes

1 Like

That’s really crazy that you guys can be doing so well yet have absolutely zero funding or attention from your school district to the point of almost being shut down… So backwards.

2 Likes

That’s crazy dude. Best of luck to you. I faced a similar problem with my district this fall. Thankfully I was able to mostly resolve it, but I know it’s a struggle. I really hope you guys can stay afloat, you’ve been such a competitive part of the vex community

3 Likes

I have signed the petition, and while I certainly want 2616 to stick around for years to come, I can’t help but think the district has a reason for shutting down the program.

It is not in a school district’s nature to shut down a successful program without reason, and by all means 2616 has been incredibly successful. Hell, they even won worlds last year.

@aryan.pradhan, has your district given you a reason for not wanting to pay for a club advisor? If not could you ask for one? I think any reasonable administrator would give you an answer.

11 Likes

We have not been given a reason, but this will definitely be a question asked at the next board meeting.

8 Likes

Definitely do what you can do with the board. I had to go to my school board in the fall and thankfully I was able to resolve it. If you know people on the board I would recommend talking to them/letting them know ahead of time. I have a few ins with board member and I worked with them beforehand to help make sure my pitch went smoother.

Also, I assume the threat of going independent is not really an option for you?

1 Like

please stop being the next pain in the neck

12 Likes