Help -- VEXnet 1.0 connection problem

Hello VEX forum

We are experiencing a wireless connection problem and we need your help.

Yesterday we successfully set up VEXnet connection and practiced. Nothing was changed since then about the robot or the program, but today when we are trying to connect again, the joystick and cortex wouldn’t sync.

Light on Joystick:
Joystick: solid green-- fully charged batteries
Robot: no indication-- not connected
VEXnet: first slow flashing yellow, then quick flashing yellow-- Key is detected and trying to sync

Light on Cortex:
Robot: fast flashing yellow
VEXnet: fast flashing yellow

Usually we can get connected within 3 seconds after the described situation occurs. But this time the situation persists and the two won’t connect. We waited for like 5 minutes and the lights still keep flashing like described.

Our batteries are all fully charged. We are using easy c, both joystick and cortex have 3.23 firmware. We have back up battery and power expander. We are using easy c competition template, field control setting. We are sure that we paired up the joystick and the cortex. The joystick is calibrated. We are using VEXnet 1.0, the black keys.

We tried to connect the joystick to the computer and set up wireless download mode when the lights flash as described above, but it didn’t help. We tried to change to competition setting with autonomous, but it didn’t help either. We are still trying to change keys.

Please help us as we have a tournament this weekend. Thanks very much!

We just re-calibrated the joystick and it seems to sync for just one moment. The robot light on the joystick turned green and the vexnet light turned yellow and then red, and then the situation described above recurred.

Plus, directly connecting the joystick and the robot works. We just have trouble with the wireless. That should indicate that the joystick is not broken.

Magically acquire some VEXnet 2.0 keys before this weekend?
Honestly, we (and I think everyone else as well) have had sooo many stupid problems with the old keys. We haven’t had any problems with the new ones so far, though (keeping our fingers crossed).

If you have an extra cortex and joystick, try pairing those with the same procedure that you used for the cortex currently on your robot. If they pair correctly then you have a problem with your cortex or joystick, because this bug seems strange. I have encountered problems like this, but reinstalling the firmware normally works.

Thank you for your reply. Yes, yesterday I was freaking out and forgot to try the one last shot, which is to reinstall the firmware. I will try that today and if that does not work, I’ll change cortex. I don’t believe every single pair of cortex and joystick in my lab has the same issue. Although I really hate messing up my neat wiring and bearing the danger of breaking pins to change cortex…

As a matter of fact, as I recall, last year this problem occurred before my first ever tournament. It was because of this issue that my toss up scissor lift bot never got to compete… We had to use backup robot.

I will keep this posted if I find a way to solve the problem.