Help with Flywheel

So, we have built 2 flywheels but neither seems to work. We have the initial one which is a 25:1 gear ratio with 2 motors. The other one is a 49:3 gear ratio with 2 motors. Both of the flywheels will run at full speed for a few seconds until the motors will slow down, to the point that the flywheel stops working. Any suggestions to fix the issue?
Thanks, Team 184

I would suggest uploading your code/pasting it here, as many flywheels I have seen have had code be their major problem.
Check the ball compression. You should be able to push a ball through the wheels manually with minimal force. You should be able to run this shooter with 2 motors. However, if you are finding that there is still too much stress, you can try a 4 motor shooter. Lastly, what wheels are you using? Some wheels tend to work better than others.

We are still at the testing stage so our code is just :
motor[port3] = -vexRT(Ch3);
motor[port6] = vexRT(Ch2);
We are using 5 inch traction wheels

Those wheels should be fine. That’s some scary code. Putting your motors to run such a higher ratio in such a short time can break motors. We had this problem earlier in the season. In fact, we actually snapped several teeth off of some internal gears. However, if you are slowly accelerating the joystick upwards to run the wheel, you should be fine. I would suggest switching it to a button for consistency. A 2-3 second acceleration is generally a good time for speed up.
Would you mind posting a photo here, or, if it is confidential, perhaps PM it to me?

we have a tbh and a pid code developed do i need to download the code to the cortex so that it runs properly. And what type of picture, the picture of the flywheel or the code?

To upload code to your robot, boot up your robot and controller normally, and ensure a steady connection. Then, take the orange cable, and plug the ethernet connection into the “Programming” port in the controller, and plug the USB end into your laptop or device with the robot code. Then, download and compile as normal. If you are using a Partner joystick, ensure that it is tethered when you upload this code. A picture of the flywheel, please, with a game piece for sizing.

Have you checked that the motors aren’t overheating? This problem sounds like your PTCs are tripping and causing the motors to stop. This is likely to be due to friction, so make sure shafts aren’t rubbing against any metal, bearings are properly aligned etc.

Sounds a lot like your motors are overloaded, are therefore overheating and are therefore tripping their PTCs. Motors can get overloaded because of friction (or sometimes because one of multiple motors isn’t working, isn’t connected to its power, or is actually being told to run in reverse.) If you can, try physically disengaging your motors and see if your flywheel system spins freely. If you feel it grinding to a halt or slowing down within 10-15 seconds after spinning it up by hand, you probably have way too much friction.

Do you think that we need to add more motors to our flywheel?

I would suggest looking into problems with the mechanical structure of your layout. We can gives tips if you send us a picture. Motors are very valuable assets, and if you can spare using a motor in one place, you can use it elsewhere. It comes down to how you want to play the game.
However, if you want to use 2 more motors, that should remove the current errors you’re having with your PTC’s supposedly tripping.

To reduce friction, you might want to have a look at this discussion:
https://vexforum.com/t/how-to-reduce-unnecessary-friction/31583/1

I would recommend creating a greater offset between the bases (I would assume C-Channels) and the shafts that hold the gears. This will decrease the friction and allow the gears to spin in a more freely manner. Also, make sure that the shaft you are using for your motors, if connecting both initially to the same shaft, has precisely appropriate dimensions, otherwise the motors would be spinning at an angle, pushing and damaging each other as they spin. If none of these options prove successful, make your motors fast motors by changing the gears internally to fast gears and changing it in the program as well.