High Strength Gear Kit

Indeed .

I think this kit will have some great applications in high tension situations, such as lifting a heavy arm. I dont think it would be too useful in a wheel set up however, as their isnt too much stress on them.

cool beans
raspinudo:D

yeah, there is more friction between the gears, so you get even more power loss in a drive train application. they are very nice gears though.

Even if IFI is not planning to produce a larger axle, you can do this yourself. I’ve tried standard 1/4" key stock from the hardware store, and it fits very snugly into the large square holes. As for shaft collars, I think these would work OK (otherwise, these would work for sure, but very pricy).

Should be able to use standard 3/8" shaft couplers. I still need to figure out what to use as a bearing block, but there are a lot more standard hardware options in the 1/4" range. All this obviously doesn’t help folks with competition 'bots, but I thought I’d share.

Cheers,

• Dean

If only we had extra money to throw at these =/. Of course, with our arm, we are more worried about the axle twisting(jamming it during autonomous twisted an axle about 40degrees =/. Perhaps as an add on to the high strength gear kit, we could get high strength axles too?

On our arm / claw the shoulder gear is a big 60. We used three axles to support the arm inside the gear. Still use a single pivot point, but there is no twisting action on the axle. You might want to think on how you can better support the arm.

If you can program your robot, you might want to try adding a bumper or limit switch that is always in effect. A potentiometer could do the trick as well.

I know this was mostly a joke, but think of that twisted axle as being a steel fuse that sacrificed itself to keep something more expensive from breaking.

Our first use of the double metal 12 tooth gear was last night and it worked really well. We were not in a “stress” situation, but it was nice to slide the single gear into place. They mesh nicely with the plastic gears. So all we need now is the double wide 80 tooth gear. It would be nice if the new 120 and 160 sizes came in the double thick style.

As an aside, the “axle as a fuse”(*) concept is OK, but trying to pull a badly twisted axle through gears ruins the center section. Cutting the axle next to the gear is also hard.

Foster

(*)I got that it was done mostly as a joke, but there are side effects. We’ve done this with a very complicated gear setup and it took about an hour to undo all the twisted wreckage.

What new 120 and 160 sizes? I haven’t seen or heard anything about any other new gears coming out. Do you know something that you could share?

By the way, a double thick 84 tooth gear would be nice or just a 4 pak of the current ones (Hint to IFI) so we wouldn’t have to buy 2 gear kits just to get 4 of them.

I would expect the gear sizes to continue to increase in 24-tooth increments, if larger ones are made.

That only works when your arm is going past where it’s supposed to go. In our situation the autoloader got “stuck” in our arm and its programming told it to move the arm up when that was, in fact, impossible.

Our (almost) completely revamped design prevents that though. :slight_smile:

Our team already had a potentiometer that prevented damage from being caused by driver error or a failed program that forced the arm too far downwards or upwards but the problem is if something got in the way of the end of the arm and the autonomous program told it to move upwards. Our arm was geared relatively high so the axle bent about 50 degrees or so. We rebent the axle the opposite direction but the axle is now quite a bit weaker.

Hey! You already have your Excellence Award. Don’t go upgrading that robot any further…

So put a potentiometer near the drive end of the axle and another one near the load end. As long as the axle isn’t twisting, both pots should produce similar values.

You can then have your program monitor the two pots and back off power if they start to indicate twisting - kind of like a primitive strain gauge…

(mostly kidding)

• Dean

Pots are cheap and time’s expensive. Sounds like a great solution to me.