High Strength/High Speed Motors

Anyone know how beneficial is a high speed or high strength motor? For those who used them, can one high strength motor take the place of two regular motors? For example, one idea our team had was to support our lift system (for a hugger) with three motors on each side (six motors total). However, instead of 3 motors on each side, would it be more efficient to use two high strength motors on each side.

Hi

I’m not sure I understand your question, but I think you may not be asking about what you really need to know. What you are interested in is the total force you can apply to the task at hand. If you are talking about the drive base, this takes into account the internal gearing of the motors (there is no such thing as a “high strength” motor, only those with the largest reduction in gearing), the gearing of the power train, and the size of the driven wheel. The math involved isn’t hard, and for an average VEX robot I suggest to students that 2.5-3 feet per second is a good goal for a typical robot (12-15 pounds), and maybe 3.5-4 fps for a really light one (7-9 pounds).

To calculate the fps of a drivetrain, I assume about 60% of theoretical RPM for the motor (which can be 100, 160, or 240 times .6), whatever gearing you have, and then the circumference of your wheels. Just do the math.

If you are talking about claws, it’s about the same thing, but without wheels. I would recommend 100 rpm “regular” motors with a 1:5 or 1:7 reduction, but there are significant differences of opinion on this.

I don’t know what you are saying either. But
100 RPM = High Strength
160 RPM = High Speed
240 RPM = Turbo

For lifts people usually do 1:7 or 1:5 with 6 High Strength Motors

Thanks for both inputs. Sorry for the confusion. By high strength motors, our team have found some websites saying that by changing the gearing in side the motor, speed can be decreased, but torque increases. However, both of your explanations were helpful and answered our question.