Hosting a STEM/robotics camp

Hi!
We are a first year high school team and we are interested in hosting a STEM/Robotics camp in the summer for middle schoolers to generate funds for our team. This would also help us determine interest for a middle school team. We are looking for guidance from anyone with experience in this type of endeavor.
Thanks in advance!

Team 3073s "The Swarm"

1 Like

What we have done is run two separate levels of camp. We called them Alpha (2 sessions) and Beta (1 session). The camps met for six hours a day Monday through Thursday, 9am - noon, lunch and 12:30pm - 3:30pm. The students were expected to bring bag lunches. We did supply them with mid-morning and mid-afternoon snacks and drinks. Tried to keep groups of no more than 3 and 2 was ideal. Plus I fed my robotics team members that helped out.
Alpha was all robot design and construction, primarily some variation on the VEX Clawbot… We made up various tasks that their robot had to accomplish as the week went by that all led to a final “game” at the end of the week. Each task during the week ended up being a part of the final game. We ran the game like a Driver’s Skills match. One robot trying to accomplish the tasks for in a fixed amount of time.
Beta was for graduates of Alpha. It introduced the students to basic programming and how to apply it to the robots. As with Alpha, there would be tasks throughout the week that would lead up to a final “game” that was run like a Programming Skills match (usually half the time of the Alpha driver’s “game”.
As for pricing, you would have to do a little research about what your market will bear.
We charged $150 per camper/session.
I hope this helps. I am sure that others have done camps as well and can give you their insights.

1 Like

Thank you 536Mentor…How did you provide instructions for the robot? Were the instructions printed or were the kids walked through the process? Was it a kit?

0 Likes

A lot of groups across the country have been running VEX IQ based summer camps with a lot of success. The equipment costs are lower than with EDR and there’s a full handbook available online to help you run them.

1 Like

There is a VEX Clawbot kit. However it is not difficult to get the plans for it and have the campers build from your existing stock of parts. Of course, as a first year team, you might not have a large stock of parts. The VEX Starter Dual Control Kit runs approximately $540. That might be a bit steep to charge $150 per camper per session. But you might be able to charge $400 per camper per session (this is not out of line with other summer camps - depending on where you are) and this would allow you to make some money the first year and if you keep the camp kits separate from the competition kits, you have them for future years and will make more money then.

1 Like

Absolutely agree, we hosted a VEX IQ Camp and it was great. We’ve tried many different methods in the past, but the VEXIQ Camp Handbook really helped everything go smoothly. The kids really got a lot out of it.

The VEXIQ equipment is well tuned for the Summer Camp setting, we highly recommend it.

1 Like

Thanks for all the info! We are looking into all the options!

0 Likes

I would love to see a VEX V5 Camp Handbook.

1 Like