How do I credit music for a robot reveal on YouTube?

I made a robot reveal for last year’s game challenge, Tipping Point and was going to post it tomorrow. However, I’m trying to figure out how copyright works, and how to even credit the music in the first place.

I’ve tried looking at other topics but can’t seem to find a clear answer. Also, I checked a bunch of websites for music copyright in general but am now more confused.

according to the US copyright thing:

“§107 · Limitations on exclusive rights: Fair use41
Notwithstanding the provisions of sections 106 and 106A, the fair use of a
copyrighted work, including such use by reproduction in copies or phonorecords
or by any other means specified by that section, for purposes such as criticism,
comment, news reporting, teaching (including multiple copies for classroom use),
scholarship, or research, is not an infringement of copyright. In determining
whether the use made of a work in any particular case is a fair use the factors to
be considered shall include—
(1) the purpose and character of the use, including whether such use is of a
commercial nature or is for nonprofit educational purposes;
(2) the nature of the copyrighted work;
(3) the amount and substantiality of the portion used in relation to the copyrighted work as a whole; and
(4) the effect of the use upon the potential market for or value of the copyrighted work.
The fact that a work is unpublished shall not itself bar a finding of fair use if
such finding is made upon consideration of all the above factors.”

Technically, it’s for non-profit educational purposes. It could even be considered ‘teaching’ probably, as it’s showing our team robot to others. Is there something I’m missing? And also, if this is so, then can i just credit it on YouTube without having to do anything else?

3 Likes

You should just be able to post the video to youtube, and the system will automatically credit the music used in the description of your video. Most of the time, the people who own the copyright to the music won’t come after you and ask for the video to be taken down because you’re using it for non-commercial purposes. In short, you should just be able to post it to youtube as is without any issue. If you want, you can just list the music used at the end of the video credits.

P.S. Looking forward to seeing your video! :slight_smile:

16 Likes

don’t worry about it. It would cost more to sue you then they would get from the settlement. Also they would rather take the ad money.

3 Likes

just compose your own music for your reveal.

22 Likes

I’d assume that would require a lot of time. and autotune. :sweat_smile:

1 Like

I’m a rapper and producer I could help

middle schooler rap goes hard fr fr

7 Likes

it does
20 characters

YouTube will remove all audio that is copyrighted by artists in segments of your video. You will have opportunity to rectify it.

Educational use exemption is not really appropriate for reveals.

As @Sylvie suggested, create your own music for reveals.

actually no, in most cases, the video will be struck and won’t be available for monetization (not applicable for vrc reveal videos), the song will be added to the description automatically, and the video will be left up. Not all copywritten music will be handled this way, but in my experience most are.

16 Likes

Are you sure? I’ve seen plenty of reveals with definitely copyrighted music, and they’re still standing. I think youtube only removes it at the request of the copyright owner.

This is wrong.

YouTube will automatically credit the song and, depending on certain factors, either prevent you from receiving ad revenue from the video, or add ads to the video without your permission and direct the revenue to the copyright holder.

No sane copyright holder issues full takedown requests anymore.

3 Likes

I will qualify - streams we have done, this has been the case. Challenges by copyright holders have been made. Resolutions have been ok (let audio through, or audio muted).

I can not speak to monetization - I do not do that with our event streams and given that participants are not consenting and viewers are kids …

But, basis of law is clear - the creator of the work has rights about how their work is used. Background music to reveals generally does not fall into protected realms of fair use.

Youtube enforces this in a myriad of ways, I wrote of one such example.

1 Like

I think I’m just going to upload it to YouTube and deal with the potential consequences. The goal is to show this to next year’s robotics team to just show them what our team did last year, so if worst comes to worst then ig it will just be shown to the team as a (really big) file.

If you want to know what the copyright holder will do before you publicize the video, upload it as “private” and wait a day before setting it to public.

If you’re just using one song in a short (<5min) video, the vast majority of the time copyright holders will simply choose to run ads on the video. If that’s OK with you, cool; if not, then you should find some differently-licensed music.

If you’re doing something like an event stream with copyrighted music playing in the background for several hours, then (in my experience) rightsholders are more likely to take more drastic steps, such as requiring the audio to be muted or blocking the video entirely.

(disclaimer, I’m not a lawyer, etc.)

14 Likes

I just posted the video publicly as it’s not automatically crediting, so i don’t think the music creators got any notif.

should be fine

You should drop the link here :slight_smile:

suresure
(new link)

10 Likes

One thing I’ve consistently noticed with regards to music copyright is that if it’s a video, they’ll just claim monetization rights, while if it’s a stream it’ll be a full takedown. I guess that makes sense, since you can’t really just claim monetization on a stream, but typically you have to be much more careful with copyright on streams.

3 Likes

This is true, and often happens to streams. This is because only some select songs are not allowed to be used in others’ videos on YouTube. With a reveal video, you just have one song, so you’re probably not going to have one that it won’t allow. But due to the sheer number of songs played during an event, you’re going to hit on one or two that aren’t allowed.

There are three levels of copyright on YouTube for copyrighted music: “none”, “copyright claim”, and “restricted” (IIRC). “None” and “copyright claim” are okay to post on your channel, and “restricted” will not allow audio while that copyrighted song is playing. “None” will not run ads on your video. “Copyright claim” may run ads on your video to pay for the music you are using, and it will credit the artist in the description.

Your video appears to be using uncopyrighted music, which would fall in the “none” category.

4 Likes