How do you teach about VEXIQ parts?

I’m looking for pro-tips on how you teach roboteers about all the VEX IQ parts. There is an epic ton of different sizes and shapes. I buy the kits and build the robots, I learn from the designs. (Build the off road truck for a master class in parts). I’ve gotten the advanced corner kit and messed around with each of the parts (some come in lefts and rights) to see how they fit with each other. I study other designs (who knew the intake flaps could be used so many ways?)

I’ve invested many dozens of hours in messing around with parts. And while roboteers struggle to move pieces around I can offer up parts that may work. What I’m after is how to transfer the nuance of all the parts (I’d be happy with the corner parts) to the roboteers without dozens of hours. We do some drill and practice around making shapes, but I don’t think it’s as effective as it could be.

So how do you prep roboteers for building with all the shapes?

1 Like

a if this is for a classroom just to learn random things and u happen to be using vex parts specify

b have the kids build a strech flex or a clawbot using instructions like this and then tell them to each look up vex iq and find a design for sa they like then tell them to reverse engineer the design

Hi @Foster We’ve recently published a series of Knowledge Base articles on VEX IQ. You can see them here: https://help.vex.com/category/417-engineering

We plan on adding more, so if you have any suggestions for topics, please let us know. Thanks,

4 Likes

@Avonderweidt We do that, we start off all the new roboteers with the “hero bot” for that season. This gives them some basic build skills. I have samples of gears and other setups they might find useful.

I like the idea of trying to reverse engineer a design. I may set up some shapes and see if they can replicate them.

@jmckenna Thanks for the link, I’ll take a look at them.

One of the things that makes VEXIQ easy is all the different shapes that there are to do special things.