How fast can you go without overheating your moters

I always go 95 % cause I don’t want to overheat my motors but its a disadvantage in our practice competitions. so whats a safe amount to go without overheating your moter

0% because moters do not exist.

9 Likes

You just have to take breaks. It’s worse to not go at full speed in practice but do it in matches imo. Either do one or the other, because you won’t do well.

ok ,ty, ill take your advice

I always go 110%, 'cause I wanna win, and I don’t think I’ve ever had trouble. I guess you’re in VEX IQ? So am I. If not you need to recategorize this post.

3 Likes

ok thank you, i will realy try to take both of your advices

Just a reminder, the vents on a V5 motor are not vents, they just look that way.

2 Likes

that, is VERY true, so take breaks go 110, and remember the vent looking things on the v5 motors arent actualy vents, what else

what other nifty trick can I try

Getting more airflow to the motors, putting in extra overheat protection, etc

First question, IQ or VRC. Cause IQ motors can’t overheat if you are lifting anything.

1 Like

I have, in fact, tried to tell motors to go 200 rpm. I didn’t have an overheating issue; the robot just didn’t go 200 rpm.

its IQ whats the next question

I have now tried to tell motors to go 9676 rpm and they never went more than 129 rpm. I wouldn’t worry about IQ motors overheating. Just be aware that if you tell them to go above about 105 rpm, they will not go at the same speed every time.

1 Like

It’s not really a matter of how fast you can go without overheating, it’s a matter of how long you can go before your motors overheat. There are a lot of factors that play into this too like how much strain is being put on the motor which can be effected by how much or how little torque it has, and how much weight it has to lift/pull. On our robot we can drive for about 8 minutes before we need to let our robot cool down especially since it is a heavy robot, although this is a VRC robot. As for IQ I’m not really sure how fast they will overheat.

2 Likes

so are you saying the max it goes is 129 nine or the max I should progam it to go in rpms is 105, or both , and thank all of you for the awsome advice

What I mean is, if you tell both of your drive motors to go 2,000 rpm, they will almost positively go different speeds, but neither will go 2,000 rpm. Neither is capable of 2,000 rpm, but since one could be capable of 129 (sometimes) and the other only capable of 105, one motor will go faster than the other, resulting in your robot going in a curved line, since one motor is moving more quickly than the other.

You should also note, though, that neither has a consistent max speed. I ran the same program a dozen times and the motors went different max speeds in every run. Sometimes it wouldn’t go faster than 105 and sometimes it went 127.

So I’m saying, if you want your motors to go at the same speed as each other or every time you run the program, don’t tell them to go more than 105, since they won’t be able to every time. From your description, though, it sounds like you mean driver control. In driver control, it’s probably less vital that they go the same speed every time. I personally use a max motor speed of 110 in driver control, but you can do as you please.

Happy to help! I know IQ has fewer responders than VRC, so it can be hard to figure out issues. And, in case your curious, here are the max speeds I got out of my motors (I think it was left motor) over 32 attempts. In every run, I ordered the motors to go more than 9,000 rpm. (I was running a P loop.)

1 Like

can I put this on a sheet, cause I want to record this data and show my team, my team would LOVE this

and thank you so much for helping me, it means alot, my first compotition is tommorow, and I’m gonna make a shout out to my team that you helped me, thank you

Sure! That’s just fine!