How many bearing flats are on your robot?

• 0-10
  • 11-20
  • 21-30
  • 31-40
  • 41-50

0 voters

2 Likes

Not as many as should be on my robot.

8 Likes

Same

Twenty characters

1 Like

Enough.

More than that poll
Lots more
So many that I keep running out of spacers

7 Likes

After a quick count from memory, I believe the number comes out to be around 80.

5 Likes

Do you use the bearing flat pins? Like the black pieces that hold them to metal? Or just the screws?

There are never enough bearing flats.

6 Likes

If you can count the number of bearing flats on your robot just by looking, you’re not using enough.

6 Likes

These are generally never used on competition robots. They are sometimes used for prototyping and classroom/educational use.

4 Likes

Today’s lesson: Bearing flat pins

Ok class, this is a bearing flat pin. It’s not very strong and will leave wiggle room if used incorrectly. Never use them.

Class dismissed

11 Likes

We have seen very good results with them to reduce weight of components, and they have been fairly strong, we don’t use them for places that need a lot of strength, but they are nice and low profile

2 Likes

Nylon screws and nuts are better.

2 Likes

Petition to add ‘Too Many’ as an option to a new poll?

5 Likes

Better question: What IS a bearing flat?

Oh no…

A bearing flat is a small plastic part than is perfectly sized to allow VEX shafts and screws to free-spin without rubbing against other metal.

Generally, they are vital to making a good robot.

4 Likes

bearing flats, or flat bearings, are used to keep an axel from having too much friction by making the axel go through a circle hole rather than a square one (only used in VRC, and not IQ)

2 Likes

We just put them through the C channels. I have never used one of these.
For a while I thought they were field parts.

Bro use them anywhere you have an axle

3 Likes

The basics of building are why our organization always has our new teams build the V5 clawbot, and sometimes the current season’s trainer build (the so-called hero-bot). By building these trainers, you learn the basics of good-quality VEX construction prior to beginning design & build.

5 Likes