How many Motors and Y-Cables are allowed?

According to rule <R12>, robots may use up to 12 motors on the V4 Cortex. However, rule <R13> states a robot can only use 1 Y-cable. These rules are contradictory, since 12 Motors require two Y-Cables.
My question is which setup can teams use:

• 1 Y-Cable and only 11 Motors
  • 2 Y-Cables and 12 Motors

Thanks for the post. This forum is judging related questions only. Please ask this question in the official VEX Q and A.

< R13 > says:

A maximum of one (1) VEX Y-cable can be used per Motor Port of the Microcontroller or Power Expander. (You cannot “Y off a Y” to have more than two (2) motors controlled by the same Motor Port.)

This is saying that you cannot put a Y cable into another Y cable to control more than 2 motors on one port. I cannot find a maximum allowed in the rule book, but I’ve always stuck to a max of 2.

As for the maximum number of motors:

With V5:
With pneumatics, you can use a maximum of 6 motors. Without pneumatics, you can use a maximum of 8 motors.

Without V5:
With pneumatics, you can use a maximum number of 10 motors. Without pneumatics, you can use a maximum number of 12 motors.

Yeah, you can use a y on every port if you want, you just can’t y y’s one y per port max.