How many RPM does the base of your robot have?

What do you recommend in competition, that my base be slow at 120 RPM but have a lot of strength or have a base at 600 RPM that is fast but got tired.

Which one do you recommend or which one do you use and it works well for you in competition?

I would recommend the following scopes based upon your robot, but it honestly is up to you to decide.

1. You’re a wallbot (100-200 RPM)
  2. Your robot is light and you intend to aggressively score without any heavy object [so likely not this season] (300-400 RPM)
  3. You’re a meta robot (also a regular robot) (200-300 RPM)

Note: You should have a drivetrain that is about 4-6 motors to be competitive in VRC. Any drivetrain that is less than 3 is risking a deficit in acceleration and push power.

This assumes you are using 4" wheels. Increase RPM by about 25% if you’re using 3.25" wheels.

10 Likes

I would recommend using 4 to 6 motors with green cartridges (200 RPM). The greens give a good middle ground of speed and strength. I personally would say a blue cartridge (600 RPM) is unnecessarily fast for this years game, and it lacks the strength needed. Red cartridges (100 RPM) are strong but are better suited for things like lifts that need more torque. Using red motors would slow you down a lot and would probably have very few benefits. Green cartridges however, have the strength needed to do everything as well as the speed needed to get around fast enough. As for the amount of motors 4 would be best if you need to save motors for things like lifts and intakes. 6 would be best if you want that extra power boost, slightly increased speed, and a much easier time climbing the ramp. Of course this is all assuming you’re using a tank drive or another drive of a similar layout, and also that you aren’t wanting to mess around with gear ratios.

2 Likes

I’m the driver for my team and the previous years we’ve had a two-motor drivetrain. This season we have a four-motor drivetrain and the pushing power is unreal.

If you have a relatively light bot and want to climb the ramp, then 4 motors are good, but as the weight requirement changes so does the RPM/motor count for the drivetrain.

Referencing the first step of the Engineering Design Process. Understand the challenge and identify your solution to it. Different criterias cater to different needs. Our science teacher says this for labs, but it can apply everywhere. “Know where you are at, find where you want to go, then figure out how to get there.”

EDIT: Grammar

1 Like

Connor you very much forgot to clarify wheel size, which is a very important factor in drive speed.

5 Likes

if you’re a rookie you can’t go wrong with 200rpm direct

8 Likes

Fixed, thank you

It depends on your robot’s weight and how many motors you have on the drive. Our team has found that 6 motor, 333 rpm on 3.25" wheels works well with a very heavy bot.

2 Likes

Any issues climbing the platform? We’re playing around with 6 motors for the first time and love the speed of 300ish rpm

wheel size? 20characters

6 motors 257rpm on 4inch Omnis

Yep, performance has been good but recently noticed some issues with acceleration and climbing; early season bot had a 4 motor 280 rpm drive with 4 inch omni, but lacked torque and was thus pushed around. I’d love to increase speed again now that the bot has 6 motors, but I’m not too sure how it’d preform on the platform (especially considering it’s probably 15-20 lbs)

1 Like

6m drive at 280 has just a little more torque that 4m direct. Out bot can climb with 4m direct and 3 goals quite well.

3 Likes

No issues so far. It actually got easier once the robot got heavier.