How much risers can you hold while driving the robot?

How much Risers can we hold on our robot ?

The manual doesn’t include a possession limit which means there is none to my knowledge.

4 Likes

So you mean that we can hold as many risers as possible

2 Likes

Yes, that is my understanding.

1 Like

Ok, Thank You :+1::+1::+1:, Guess my team was wrong

1 Like

What did your team think? Did they see a possession limit in the manual?

1 Like

No, They were just thinking it would be the same possession limit as Squared Away

1 Like

Squared Away didn’t have a possession limit either.

2 Likes

Ya it did, We were carrying 3 cubes at a time but they dq us.

1 Like

I cannot find any rule in the squared away manual that says anything about a possession limit. They either dqed you for a different reason, or they were just refs who didn’t know what they were doing.

1 Like

I guess they did not know what they were doing

1 Like

Read the manual. Twice. Have it handy at the tournament. When refs say something that you KNOW isn’t in the manual, hand it to them and ask to see the rule. Of course, you have to know the rules well enough in the first place to have to confidence to contradict someone who is wrong… But it’s is something that you will need to learn to do anyway.

This is part of the “soft skills” that you need to learn to be successful in a STEM field. If you don’t have the knowledge, you will just have to listen to others, even if they are wrong. And when you know you are right, there’s no point in knowing the right answer if you can’t use it when needed.

6 Likes

Ok Thanks I will remember to do that this season

2 Likes

so when you go to the tournament you can pull up the handbook and show the ref, and get the call overturned?

2 Likes

Students (not adults) can respectfully ask questions and show the referees the game manual in a situation like this. You might need to speak with the head referee of the event, as the skills referees are sometimes less skilled than the head referee. If something like this becomes an issue at a particular event venue, you may wish to consider not to going to that event, and ensure the events you attend have certified referees.

2 Likes

Welcome to Vex Forums, You can post , replay and more. I hope you enjoy.

We have had our students respectfully speak to the referees and then the Head Referee was called over to review the discrepancy and overturned the decisions that the referee made. This must be done before the students leave the field though. Students are the only ones allowed to dispute the decision a referee has made. We make sure the students study the rules thoroughly at the beginning of the season and we also test them every meeting on different scenarios at the beginning of each meeting to make sure students know how to properly score their fields.

As a student, if you are ever in doubt, never be afraid to ask other teams or consult the rule book. If you know that you are correct, the referees should have the game manual on the main scoring desk and you can politely ask them to look at the book and show them. Just remember that they can make mistakes too. Some referees are new or were trained the night before. Like @kmmohn stated, if you are unhappy with an event, consider looking into other events you can go to with certified referees. My plan is to make sure my students are trained well enough to score any field even if they are not referees.

I wish everyone the best of luck and stay safe!

2 Likes

This topic was automatically closed 365 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.