How to make a custom hinge

We figured out that if you cut the c-channels a little bit shorter on the ends, you can use a regular hinge to have the claw fold out from the inside. I mounted on side of the hinge directly to the first set of holes on the bottom part of the claw and mounted the other side of the hinge on the second set of holes on the second part of the claw. This allows the c-channels to fold yet align “perfectly”. Nothing in Vex ever happens perfectly. There is a small amount of wiggle room that I removed by sticking a piece of 1x1 aluminum bar in the joint between the two halves of the claw.

It sounds kind of confusing, I don’t have access to the robot right now so I can’t post pictures.

One issue with having the claw fold out from the inside is that the two sides of the claw will hit each other and it won’t expand properly. We are having that issue and we will have to play around with the tension and all that.

this is super helpful and i am going to try and see if i can do it is it possible for you to send me a picture of the side? Question the two bars that connect the C channels together, are they cut plates?

The metal connecting the two pieces is just a 1x1 aluminum bar. What kind of angle are you talking about regarding the picture?

ur question isn’t super clear but there are multiple types of hinges,

there is the stock vex hinge, a hinge made of an axle and a hinge made of a screw just to name a few.

Can you send me a picture from the side

The pictures given should provide you with all of the information you need. Message me if you have any specific questions.

for your clamp did you make a locking mechanism when your clamp and when it unfolds di you use rubber bands?

No locking mechanisms, just rubber bands.

If possible can you send a video for better understanding of how this works?

1 Like