We figured out that if you cut the c-channels a little bit shorter on the ends, you can use a regular hinge to have the claw fold out from the inside. I mounted on side of the hinge directly to the first set of holes on the bottom part of the claw and mounted the other side of the hinge on the second set of holes on the second part of the claw. This allows the c-channels to fold yet align “perfectly”. Nothing in Vex ever happens perfectly. There is a small amount of wiggle room that I removed by sticking a piece of 1x1 aluminum bar in the joint between the two halves of the claw.
It sounds kind of confusing, I don’t have access to the robot right now so I can’t post pictures.
One issue with having the claw fold out from the inside is that the two sides of the claw will hit each other and it won’t expand properly. We are having that issue and we will have to play around with the tension and all that.